Childhood Stories and Good Memories

Electrician is a sparky here.That food sounds alright,but blood pudding and haggis sounds a bit irony tasting for me.I don't think I'd be game to try.

Don't you folks have some sort of meat pie that's an acquired taste? I can't remember the name and maybe it's only from one region.

Don't you folks have some sort of meat pie that's an acquired taste? I can't remember the name and maybe it's only from one region.
Not sure but they have roo,buffalo,emu and croc pies in different regions.God only knows whats in normal meat pies,we used to call them mystery bags but everyone eats them.We may be the only country who stuffs pies with our coat of arms.

Reactions: TonyM
Not sure but they have roo,buffalo,emu and croc pies in different regions.God only knows whats in normal meat pies,we used to call them mystery bags but everyone eats them.We may be the only country who stuffs pies with our coat of arms.

Lol. I was only there briefly and lived on military rations (I wasn't in the military). Outback and spiders I hated :)

Reactions: ozentity
Lol. I was only there briefly and lived on military rations (I wasn't in the military). Outback and spiders I hated :)
The food now is pretty good mainly due to Italians and other immigrants.When I was young,we ate a lot of lamb,rabbit very boring.I now hate rabbit.

The food now is pretty good mainly due to Italians and other immigrants.When I was young,we ate a lot of lamb,rabbit very boring.I now hate rabbit.

I like rabbit but don't have it very often. I don't like the smell of it cooking though same as lamb which I can only eat curried.

Reactions: ozentity
Ummm.....childhood memories? (Had to check I was on the right thread there! lol)

OK, so, since this veered foodie again, I'll make it a food related one! I was about 5 or 6 when I can first remember the Sunday "outings" in my grandfathers HUGE Lincoln. This car was a big, black boat. My grandfather, being a double amputee but licensed to drive, did so slowly and the traffic behind him let me learn what a true "Sunday driver" was! lol Now, before we would leave the house, my mother and the Croation grandparents would start to speak in Croation about what "plan" they had for the day. It might be to take my sister and I to Kiddie Land (can't remember what the Croation was for that one), or White Castle which they used the terms little cows in the language, or to Dairy Queen which was to my ears something about "milky"...although they would call it Milk King to keep us from knowing. Somehow, I always knew. Don't know if I just understood the language back then or my psychic senses kicked in.

ANYWAY, off in the car we'd go, all 6 of us in luxurious splender in this monster of a vehicle that had room to spare! No car seats, no seat belts, just rolling down the road with the honking behind us. We would reach "treat" destination and my sister and I would enjoy our Sunday afternoons usually devouring some deliciousness. In the winter, we'd go once a week to the Dime Store (think Dollar General now) and we'd be given the precious dollar or two each to spend on ANYTHING we wanted in the store.

After the fun, we'd all head home and wait for the Wonderful World of Disney to bring us our evening joy before bedtime after spending time with our grandparents, who, by the way, stayed for Disney with us. We were spoiled rotten by the grandparents, and it is a joy to remember those days.

Ummm.....childhood memories? (Had to check I was on the right thread there! lol)

OK, so, since this veered foodie again, I'll make it a food related one! I was about 5 or 6 when I can first remember the Sunday "outings" in my grandfathers HUGE Lincoln. This car was a big, black boat. My grandfather, being a double amputee but licensed to drive, did so slowly and the traffic behind him let me learn what a true "Sunday driver" was! lol Now, before we would leave the house, my mother and the Croation grandparents would start to speak in Croation about what "plan" they had for the day. It might be to take my sister and I to Kiddie Land (can't remember what the Croation was for that one), or White Castle which they used the terms little cows in the language, or to Dairy Queen which was to my ears something about "milky"...although they would call it Milk King to keep us from knowing. Somehow, I always knew. Don't know if I just understood the language back then or my psychic senses kicked in.

ANYWAY, off in the car we'd go, all 6 of us in luxurious splender in this monster of a vehicle that had room to spare! No car seats, no seat belts, just rolling down the road with the honking behind us. We would reach "treat" destination and my sister and I would enjoy our Sunday afternoons usually devouring some deliciousness. In the winter, we'd go once a week to the Dime Store (think Dollar General now) and we'd be given the precious dollar or two each to spend on ANYTHING we wanted in the store.

After the fun, we'd all head home and wait for the Wonderful World of Disney to bring us our evening joy before bedtime after spending time with our grandparents, who, by the way, stayed for Disney with us. We were spoiled rotten by the grandparents, and it is a joy to remember those days.
I loved my grandparents ,My nan was the staunchest,hardest but funniest person and my favourite family member.She passed over last year,making jokes till the end of this life.She was 94 and 3/4 she informed me 1/2 a hour before she passed.

Debi, was the dime store Kresge's in The Village on Grant ?
Mom used to take my brother and I to The Dime Store after she finished her clothes shopping. We would sit at the soda counter and have grape pop out of those paper cone cups held in the stainless steel holders. And spaghetti. Then it was off to pick out a toy and look at the turtles, birds & rabbits in the pet aisle.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi