Being "Frugal"

as Duke said, it makes a great firestarter, especially when mixed with petroleum jelly or hand sanitizer. cheap but effective....lol
I wonder if you taught MacGyver that ?
Here are a few ways to save on big-ticket items - do regular maintenance and preventative maintenance on anyting with a filter or a motor. Keep things clean because dirty things tend to break. Lube. Don't let things rust.

I try to stay really organized with tools, equipment ,all the way down to screws and nails and nuts and bolts. About the latter - if time is money there is no way I'm going to go back and put the odd screw or nail back where it belongs - which would be its original box. Toss 'em. For me that jar of odds and ends just leads to wasted time and lots of frustration and a sloppy job.
2 maxims;
OHIO - only handle it once. Aka, put stuff back where it belongs right away.
An old-timer once told me this on a job when I was looking for a tool. " if you can't put your hands on it right away then you don't own it."
Being Frugal with time saves money and also gives me extra time to watch cartoons and pro wrestling.

Here are a few ways to save on big-ticket items - do regular maintenance and preventative maintenance on anyting with a filter or a motor. Keep things clean because dirty things tend to break. Lube. Don't let things rust.

I try to stay really organized with tools, equipment ,all the way down to screws and nails and nuts and bolts. About the latter - if time is money there is no way I'm going to go back and put the odd screw or nail back where it belongs - which would be its original box. Toss 'em. For me that jar of odds and ends just leads to wasted time and lots of frustration and a sloppy job.
2 maxims;
OHIO - only handle it once. Aka, put stuff back where it belongs right away.
An old-timer once told me this on a job when I was looking for a tool. " if you can't put your hands on it right away then you don't own it."
Being Frugal with time saves money and also gives me extra time to watch cartoons and pro wrestling.
My Dad was an aircraft mechanic, he was the same way with his tools. As kids we had to ask to use a specific tool, and woe be onto us if it wasn't returned exactly where we got it and in the same condition. When he died, I got his flight line tool box/tools. It still has the "Property of the US Army Air Force" placard on the box.

My Dad was an aircraft mechanic, he was the same way with his tools. As kids we had to ask to use a specific tool, and woe be onto us if it wasn't returned exactly where we got it and in the same condition. When he died, I got his flight line tool box/tools. It still has the "Property of the US Army Air Force" placard on the box.
My boys were/are notorious for taking a tool and leaving it somewhere. And then the wrath of Dad hit them. I now have this "pile" of tools an a side table. At least they make it back that far.

nah, i think we just had some of the same classes....lol... "101 uses of 550 cord" (thats before it became cool and known as para cord by the masses). and the instructor claimed all you needed was that and a roll of 100 mph tape to get out of any situation....lol..... ahhhh, cool times

• Love it
Reactions: Benway and Paintman
When he died, I got his flight line tool box/tools. It still has the "Property of the US Army Air Force" placard on the box.
that is cool and definitely something to treasure

I NEVER QUITE UNDERSTOOD WHY MY MOM WAS SO FRUGAL....UNTIL NOW. IF SHE COULD REUSE SOMETHING, FIND A CHEAPER WAY TO DO SOMETHING, SAVE A PENNY, SHE WOULD DO IT.
WITH INFLATION BEING SO BAD RIGHT NOW, I'M REMEMBERING SOME LESSONS OF HOW TO SAVE ON THINGS.
GOT ANY MONEY SAVING SUGGESTIONS FOR GOING BACK TO FRUGAL WAYS WE HAVE LONG FORGOTTEN?
View attachment 37352
Hopefully not repeating anything, but I've been giving it a lot of thought - since i'm in the same boat. My mom was amazingly frugal. Eat at home, and take snacks, shop at the dollar store if you have them I have literally saved so much on paper goods and odds and ends that are three times as expensive elsewhere. Use baking soda and vinegar to clean, if possible, keep gas tank 1/2 full. Never pay for parking, make soups and stews, buy beans in bulk. Buy produce in mexican, chinese, middle eastern stores if possible its much cheaper. Cancel subscriptions as they add up. Boy do they add up. I invested in a bread maker and freeze the dough. Freeze tomato sauce and pop it in the microwave when needed. Buy frozen fruit for smoothies. Hope this helps, thank you for the reminder :) Wishing everyone a belated Happy New Year !

If you have a yard get chickens, eggs, chicken for dinner and manure for the veg patch. Also keeps the bugs at bay.
Good to see you back, Oz. I was afraid Debi was going to send me to Oz find you. Not that I'd have minded a trip to Australia, but the PNF travel people are a b#$*h when it comes settling per diem and travel voucher claims.

Good to see you back, Oz. I was afraid Debi was going to send me to Oz find you. Not that I'd have minded a trip to Australia, but the PNF travel people are a b#$*h when it comes settling per diem and travel voucher claims.
LOl, thanks Duke you are welcome over anytime but I'm a bit hard to find up in the hills.:telescope:

LOl, thanks Duke you are welcome over anytime but I'm a bit hard to find up in the hills.:telescope:
Visiting Oz is on my bucket list, but doubt I'll make at this point of my life. I worked with 3-4 RAAF exchange officers in my career, and worked with a couple colleagues researching the Japanese attack on Broome in hopes of helping one of them find what happened to his MIA brother.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi