Anyone else think cemeteries are set up all wrong?

L.S.

Reaction score
I’ve always tried to stay away from graveyards and not attend funerals. With the passing of my mother I go and visit her grave when I’m in Houston. This lead me to make some observations.

1st off they pack em in like sardines, which leads to my next observation.

2nd if the gravesite you’re visiting is in the middle then you have to step on or over another deceased person, which in my opinion is disrespectful and creepy.

3rd once at the gravesite the headstone is in a direction that makes you stand on top of the grave, which again I think is disrespectful and creepy.

I just think they could design a better layout to where you have room to walk and visit in a dignified way.

Anyone else feel this way?, or am I just overthinking this?

Good observation LS. You put a description to the feeling I’ve had too. I always walk as close to the top edge of the gravestones as possible so as not to be stepping right on the center of the graves.

It might be more convenient for those trying to read the content of the gravestones if they were placed at the feet of the interred instead. Then each deceased could have their own set of personal “footnotes”.

The couple of times I've visited cemetaries I've tried to avoid walking on the graves,it does feel disrespectful.They may change the design in the future but there's not much that can be done with the old graves to make it any better.On the positive side it's just the peoples Earthly remains so it's only uncomfortable for the living visitors.

Good observation LS. You put a description to the feeling I’ve had too. I always walk as close to the top edge of the gravestones as possible so as not to be stepping right on the center of the graves.

It might be more convenient for those trying to read the content of the gravestones if they were placed at the feet of the interred instead. Then each deceased could have their own set of personal “footnotes”.
this is so silly really but as a kid in graveyards i used to judge people by how their grave looked much like how i judge people by the car they choose or by the frontage of their house. some graves are immaculate making think this person was a very organised person while other graves were messy and ugly headstone so they were sloppy and messy. so stupid i know as it is their families responsible for grave but i used to think the type of person by the look of their grave.

this is so silly really but as a kid in graveyards i used to judge people by how their grave looked much like how i judge people by the car they choose or by the frontage of their house. some graves are immaculate making think this person was a very organised person while other graves were messy and ugly headstone so they were sloppy and messy. so stupid i know as it is their families responsible for grave but i used to think the type of person by the look of their grave.
Actually, that was a pretty good description of how families were judged back in the day. (I hate that phrase but it works.) In the past, I can remember my parents and grandparents being hyper-vigilant about the care of the family graves. There was a stigma about those families that didn't properly care for them.

I’ve always tried to stay away from graveyards and not attend funerals. With the passing of my mother I go and visit her grave when I’m in Houston. This lead me to make some observations.

1st off they pack em in like sardines, which leads to my next observation.

2nd if the gravesite you’re visiting is in the middle then you have to step on or over another deceased person, which in my opinion is disrespectful and creepy.

3rd once at the gravesite the headstone is in a direction that makes you stand on top of the grave, which again I think is disrespectful and creepy.

I just think they could design a better layout to where you have room to walk and visit in a dignified way.

Anyone else feel this way?, or am I just overthinking this?
I am sure I saw on tele years ago in Japan they bury people like in multi storey graveyards. Honestly I saw this once as space is so limited.
And in mexico drug lords have villas instead of tombs with satilite tv etc as it is important to show how powerful tbey were. they compete to have most grandeose graves

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne

Footnotes lmao that's too funny

I am sure I saw on tele years ago in Japan they bury people like in multi storey graveyards. Honestly I saw this once as space is so limited.
And in mexico drug lords have villas instead of tombs with satilite tv etc as it is important to show how powerful tbey were. they compete to have most grandeose graves
Years Ago, I did a paint job out of town. Southern Indiana. And I saw dueling graveyards. On one side of the road I saw the biggest giantest tombstones. On the other side of the road I saw the biggest giantest tombstones. It was like a pissing match.
Why ?

Cnerrsville. Indana, iit used to be the home of the Little League World Series.

Reactions: Lynne