Your Favorite Game Show...past or present

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Watch any games shows? Jeapardy? Wheel of Fortune? Or how about the oldies.....Match Game, Hollywood Squares, Password?

I happen to be a Jeapardy fan. Sometimes I can even beat the teen version of it! :p

So, name your game!!!

Here's a few memories for ya...

hollywood-squares1.jpg

images

Screen-shot-2011-10-02-at-9.07.09-AM.png

I think it was called Card Sharks. I also liked Press Your Luck.
PRESS YOUR LUCK was my favorite when I was a kid. Remember the contestant who had the board memorized, by recording it on his VCR (which the producers of the show hadn't counted on!) and completely ruled the game!! LOL

PRESS YOUR LUCK was my favorite when I was a kid. Remember the contestant who had the board memorized, by recording it on his VCR (which the producers of the show hadn't counted on!) and completely ruled the game!! LOL
No, don't remember that, did they call it cheating or give him his money?

No, don't remember that, did they call it cheating or give him his money?
While Larson was running up the score, the show's producers contacted Michael Brockman, then head of CBS' daytime programming department.[3] In a 1994TV Guide interview commemorating the Larson Sweep, conducted at the time the movie Quiz Show was released, he recalled "Something was very wrong. Here was this guy from nowhere, and he was hitting the bonus box every time. It was bedlam, I can tell you. And we couldn't stop this guy. He kept going around the board and hitting that box."[5]

The program's producers and Brockman met to review the videotape. They noticed that Larson would immediately celebrate after many of his spins instead of waiting the fraction of a second it would take for a contestant to see and respond to the space he or she had stopped on, effectively showing he knew he was going to get something good. It was also noticed that Larson had an unusual reaction to his early prize of a Kauai trip, which was out of his pattern – he initially looked puzzled and upset, but then recovered and celebrated after a pause.[3]

At first, CBS refused to pay Larson, considering him a cheater. However, Brockman and the producers could not find a clause in the game's rules with which to disqualify him (largely because the board had been constructed with these patterns from the beginning of the series), and the network complied.[3] Because he had surpassed the CBS winnings cap (at the time) of $25,000, Larson was not allowed to return for the next show.[1]

The five light patterns on the Big Board were immediately erased and replaced with five new ones for about a month. Then, to make sure no one was memorizing those, they were again replaced with five new patterns for another month. Finally in August, new software was installed which gave the Big Board a total of 32 patterns, effectively ensuring that no one would ever duplicate Larson's trick.[3]

An interesting twist of fate for Larson later:

In November 1984, Larson learned about a local radio show promotion promising a $30,000 prize for matching a $1 bill's serial number with a random number read out on the air. Over several days, he withdrew his remaining winnings in $1 bills, examined each dollar, and (upon discovering that he did not have the winning number) re-deposited roughly half of the money. Larson left around $50,000 in his house, which was stolen in a burglary while he was attending a Christmas party. The case still remains open today.[3]

An interesting twist of fate for Larson later:

In November 1984, Larson learned about a local radio show promotion promising a $30,000 prize for matching a $1 bill's serial number with a random number read out on the air. Over several days, he withdrew his remaining winnings in $1 bills, examined each dollar, and (upon discovering that he did not have the winning number) re-deposited roughly half of the money. Larson left around $50,000 in his house, which was stolen in a burglary while he was attending a Christmas party. The case still remains open today.[3]
OOps, cheaters never win.

In the 50's, Groucho Marx hosted 'What's My Line.' He introduced the contestant something like this:
Groucho- "This is Mr. Jones from Omaha Nebraska. It says here you have 14 kids!"
Mr. Jones - "That's right, Groucho, I really love my wife!"
Groucho - "Well, I really love my cigar, but sometimes I take it out of my mouth."
50's :)