Your favorite car story

Anyway, I think I was about 19 or 20 and these two guys challenged me to a drag race on a back road. They falsely believed I couldn't or wouldn't handle my car (being a woman and all) the way their boastful selves would. I topped out about 105 mph and blew their doors off. :D:D:D LOL Yes, I know...not what you'd expect of me, but I loved it! Since then, going fast has always been scary...but fun! My son took me for a ride in his Trans Am a few years back and hit 110. See me grinning?? :D

What about you? Tell us your car story!
One time I was coming back from the beach in the '68 Camaro. I came upon a Corvette, who decided he wanted to play. We were just starting up a pretty decent hill and he floored it. I had the Camaro in fourth gear already, but the gearing was so good in those things, that I could still accelerate going uphill in fourth. :D I ended up handily passing him, going about 85-ish and still accelerating uphill! :cool: Loved that car!

Reactions: sal and Debi
We made a deal with our 3 boys....we bought the first car and they then had to get a job and pay for maintaining it and for their insurance. If they wrecked car #1, it was up to them to buy car #2.
Aww, Ma, why couldn't you have adopted me sooner?!! :p

Reactions: Debi
One time I was coming back from the beach in the '68 Camaro. I came upon a Corvette, who decided he wanted to play. We were just starting up a pretty decent hill and he floored it. I had the Camaro in fourth gear already, but the gearing was so good in those things, that I could still accelerate going uphill in fourth. :D I ended up handily passing him, going about 85-ish and still accelerating uphill! :cool: Loved that car!
Hmmmm...that bad boy part of you is peaking out again! lol

Reactions: Seahunter
I'll go the opposite end of the spectrum and tell a horror story. I had a car back in the day that was basically junk on wheels. I was driving back to work from a lunch break with a full tank of gas one day, when suddenly it wouldn't go above 20-25 mph. On top of that, all my gas was gone by the time I arrived. Apparently 2 of the pistons went out. So here I am on the interstate in the middle of the city going at the speed of Mach Turtle running late for work. I'm pretty sure people on bikes were passing me.
This thing died on me constantly. One time it did, I had already had a bad day. I went off and punched the steering wheel with all my might, hoping it would quell my anger. Instead I was greeted with a constant EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The FREAKING HORN WAS STUCK :mad::mad::mad:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
In a fit of violent rage mainly regulated to drug abusers and jilted lovers, I ripped apart the front of my steering wheel and tore out the horn's vocal chords.
A few days later, after rationality kicked back in, I decided I might need a horn, so I put it back together. However, I ended up making the horn EXTREMELY touchy. So much so, that the force of braking for a red light would be enough to make it go off.
Yep, pretty much every time I stopped behind somebody, they were greeted with what they thought was some road raging idiot that didn't understand basic driving rules. You wouldn't believe the expressions I heard.
Then one night, it died coming home from work, and I just got out and started walking the rest of the 7 or so miles I had left. I never went back for it. I have no idea what became of that thing.
Probably a redneck lawn ornament now.

I'll go the opposite end of the spectrum and tell a horror story. I had a car back in the day that was basically junk on wheels. I was driving back to work from a lunch break with a full tank of gas one day, when suddenly it wouldn't go above 20-25 mph. On top of that, all my gas was gone by the time I arrived. Apparently 2 of the pistons went out. So here I am on the interstate in the middle of the city going at the speed of Mach Turtle running late for work. I'm pretty sure people on bikes were passing me.
This thing died on me constantly. One time it did, I had already had a bad day. I went off and punched the steering wheel with all my might, hoping it would quell my anger. Instead I was greeted with a constant EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The FREAKING HORN WAS STUCK :mad::mad::mad:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
In a fit of violent rage mainly regulated to drug abusers and jilted lovers, I ripped apart the front of my steering wheel and tore out the horn's vocal chords.
A few days later, after rationality kicked back in, I decided I might need a horn, so I put it back together. However, I ended up making the horn EXTREMELY touchy. So much so, that the force of braking for a red light would be enough to make it go off.
Yep, pretty much every time I stopped behind somebody, they were greeted with what they thought was some road raging idiot that didn't understand basic driving rules. You wouldn't believe the expressions I heard.
Then one night, it died coming home from work, and I just got out and started walking the rest of the 7 or so miles I had left. I never went back for it. I have no idea what became of that thing.
Probably a redneck lawn ornament now.
O....M...G! I am rolling on the floor over here! Hands down...best post of the day! :p

Malakai's story involving a steering wheel reminded me of one with my brother and I. We were driving around delivering newspapers, and luckily were going through a neighborhood - slower speeds - because all of a sudden the steering wheel broke off the column! :eek: My brother was driving, and luckily hit the brakes quickly enough and the car skidded and came to a stop right as we hit a curb and would have gone up over the sidewalk into a lawn - or house! The best part though, was we needed to get home, so he grabbed a crescent wrench we luckily had, and put it on the hub. He was able to drive home using the wrench, and I held up the steering wheel on the passenger side of the car and got some pretty funny looks on the way home. :D

Reactions: Malakai and Debi
This is kinda weird in it's own way. The death of my Fury came between Valparaiso and Hobart, IN......when the steering column broke. Dad had it towed and junked. I ended up in a ditch, but otherwise unscathed. It was a sad day to see the old girl towed away. :(

I'm remembering some old stories now. One time when I was just learning to drive, my father was letting me drive home. We lived in the country, so we're talking windy roads with only ditches on the sides. Well, it was dark out, and all we could figure out later as to what happened, is I must have been resting my foot on the dimmer switch and something shorted out, but all of a sudden the headlights went out. :eek: Now I was still learning how to drive, so I was a little unsettled, and my dad is yelling at me asking me what I did. :rolleyes: Luckily there was not a bunch of traffic, and I could see if anyone else was coming. There was just enough light out that I made it home since we weren't too far away when it happened. I still to this day don't know why he didn't finish the drive home, but I guess he figured my eyes were better than his. :confused:

Reactions: Debi