Would you host a foreign exchange student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
When most of us were in high school, there was the foreign kid who we thought was a little weird at first, but once we actually got to know them, we discovered that they weren't that much different from us. For every one of those foreign exchange students, there was a host family willing to open their home to a complete stranger from another country, whose first language often wasn't English. Even more of a challenge, it was a teenager! The only thing a host family receives in return is the cultural exchange with the young person living with them, as host families volunteer their services.

Would you ever consider being a host family for a foreign student? It's quite a commitment, both in time and money. Hosts are essentially taking on an extra child, with all the responsibilities that go along with it.

I would! I have a couple reasons... I studied abroad, but in college, not high school. It was one of the best parts of my time in school! It was really neat because several related families were hosts, so on many occasions we got to get together with even more people. This was South America too, so family is a BIG deal - very important, and they made us all feel like family!

Second, my folks hosted an exchange student when my sister was in high school. It was a great experience for all. I wish I could have interacted more with the student, but it was only for the summer, and I was away doing a dig.

Third, back to college... My best friend's parents were hosting a young man from Ecuador. I had gotten to know him pretty well during his year here. He was so shy at first, but eventually really enjoyed his stay. Then, when I had my opportunity to study abroad, I saw Ecuador was one of the university's main programs and Spanish was what I had studied! Long story short, is when I did end up going down there to study, he was in the capital, right where I was, so I had an instant friend who made me feel so welcome in his country. Even with my busy schedule, we were able to get together on many occasions, and really enjoyed getting to see his country and culture just as he had done up here.

When most of us were in high school, there was the foreign kid who we thought was a little weird at first, but once we actually got to know them, we discovered that they weren't that much different from us. For every one of those foreign exchange students, there was a host family willing to open their home to a complete stranger from another country, whose first language often wasn't English. Even more of a challenge, it was a teenager! The only thing a host family receives in return is the cultural exchange with the young person living with them, as host families volunteer their services.

Would you ever consider being a host family for a foreign student? It's quite a commitment, both in time and money. Hosts are essentially taking on an extra child, with all the responsibilities that go along with it.
I would consider it depending on the country and age of the "child". I wouldn't want to take in a hoodlum that would corrupt my own kids. Also, preference would go to anyone from the "lands".

Last edited:
Reactions: surge and Debi
My "other mother", the 90 year old friend of mine I've referenced before, was an exchange student "parent" three times. I remember this from my childhood and also remember her saying that it was a wonderful experience for her entire family. This lady has the patience of a saint to begin with and a quiet presence that is calming to all around her, so she was the perfect person to take on such a responsibility. And if memory serves me correct, Nekki, all three of her exchange students were from the "lands." I believe all of her "kids" were juniors in high school age when they lived with her.

I remember being in an Irish bar in the early 2000's and someone was taking up a collection for a family of 5 children in Ireland who had just lost their parents in a car accident. I wish I could have adopted all 5 kids.

Reactions: surge and Debi
I would! I have a couple reasons... I studied abroad, but in college, not high school. It was one of the best parts of my time in school! It was really neat because several related families were hosts, so on many occasions we got to get together with even more people. This was South America too, so family is a BIG deal - very important, and they made us all feel like family!

Second, my folks hosted an exchange student when my sister was in high school. It was a great experience for all. I wish I could have interacted more with the student, but it was only for the summer, and I was away doing a dig.

Third, back to college... My best friend's parents were hosting a young man from Ecuador. I had gotten to know him pretty well during his year here. He was so shy at first, but eventually really enjoyed his stay. Then, when I had my opportunity to study abroad, I saw Ecuador was one of the university's main programs and Spanish was what I had studied! Long story short, is when I did end up going down there to study, he was in the capital, right where I was, so I had an instant friend who made me feel so welcome in his country. Even with my busy schedule, we were able to get together on many occasions, and really enjoyed getting to see his country and culture just as he had done up here.
Roy, that's an awesome story!

Reactions: Debi
Status
Not open for further replies.