Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

277157342_512861380450300_1161231824962804818_n.jpg

Where were you, what was the occasion?
Do you miss getting all dressed up?
How comfortable are you in "formal" settings?​

easter 1971, i was six, got my picture took and everything.............
honestly, i dont know about "really" dressed up, as in a suit and tie. probably the last wedding or funeral i attended.
just casual "preppy" dressed up is more common for me if im going out somewhere and need to be presentable at the time.....lol
But it is fun to occasionally dress up and go out for dinner or a meeting of friends

Last edited:
The last time I wore high heels and a fancy dress was 1996 when my Peoria son got married! I am not your fancy kind of bird. I have never been comfy in fancy places, including the fancy eatin' places! Even at my mom's funeral in 2010, I went in a simple nice blouse and slacks as did most other ladies who attended, and there were a lot.

I know in the "old days", people got dressed up for most occasions. You simply don't see that much anymore, as many funerals or even churches promote "come as you are" here in my area.

View attachment 38997

Where were you, what was the occasion?
Do you miss getting all dressed up?
How comfortable are you in "formal" settings?​
My nephews wedding last October. (for me really dressed up is nice slacks, a blouse and scarf, some dressy flats, maybe my ruby earrings) We wear our good jeans and boots to the opera around here.

The last time I wore high heels and a fancy dress was 1996 when my Peoria son got married! I am not your fancy kind of bird. I have never been comfy in fancy places, including the fancy eatin' places! Even at my mom's funeral in 2010, I went in a simple nice blouse and slacks as did most other ladies who attended, and there were a lot.

I know in the "old days", people got dressed up for most occasions. You simply don't see that much anymore, as many funerals or even churches promote "come as you are" here in my area.
Oh, I did wear high heels to my daughters first wedding in 1998. That day I was Really dressed up, but have not been since, though the definition has changed for me so I think I was really dressed up for my nephew's wedding.

Suit and tie dressed up would have been in 2009 when I had to give a high level briefing at work. I was told I cleaned up well.

Since I retired, dress pants, shirt, and tie is as dressy as it's gotten. That was on three different occasions, sadly all funerals.

At one point in my career, I was traveling overseas quite a bit, and attending formal dinners, receptions, etc. In its infinite wisdom, the USAF decided I needed to go to what was referred to as "charm school." It was mostly dining etiquette, with unique aspects of different nations/cultures covered as needed. From these classes, I discovered I was a multicultural oaf.

I guess it was at my niece's wedding about four years ago. I bought a new dress for the occasion, and a new handbag and low heels. It was nice to dress up, but I don't like doing it too often as age makes me seek comfort over style, lol.

Just a few weeks ago I wore a nice dress with my pearl necklace to see a Broadway show, but I wore flats and not heels.

I guess my answer is about the same. Last major times was for my grandfather and grandmother's funerals. My grandfather was buried in a military cemetery, so the 21 gun salute was a first for me. Sadly, last i was in a tux was for my brother's first wedding many many moons ago lol.

There were a few different ones, the big wigs went to a senior executive course that lasted a couple weeks. I think that was in DC.

We bottom feeders took what were called "short courses" at our home base. They were taught by the headquarter's protocol/etiquette office. They had a fancy dining room set up to train/demonstrate proper manners and processes. They also taught how to introduce yourself and others, and how to go through receiving lines.

The instructions on specific nations/cultures were more one-on-one, unless there was a large group going to the same place.