What makes a good paranormal investigator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
We've all commented on what makes a BAD paranormal investigator! Just watch some of the shows on TV and you have a pretty good idea that screaming, running, provoking and assuming aren't the traits of someone doing a good job of it.

So what do you think makes a GOOD investigator? Should they approach everything as a skeptic? Should tools be used like thermometers, recorders, laser fields, cameras? Should they simply sit and wait for phenomena to happen or should they try and interact with entities? Opinions, please!

Reminder: Join Jim Malliard tonight at 9PM EST for more on this topic. His guest is Allan Gilbreath, author, performer, skeptic, Editor and Manager at Dark Oak Press and Media. He'll be discussing what makes a good investigator and how to sell a book...in case any of you out there are writing one!

Reactions: Sr-71 and malliard
Trust me...you would have smelled a raccoon in the attic! lol I've had a few try to set up shop before.

I agree that a good investigator needs a healthy dose of skepticism. You have to be willing for the phenomena to be debunked. We are, after all, looking for the truth and answers. I always turn my experiences upside down and sideways looking at them carefully. It's difficult to explain away things that defy logic and physics, tho. Like someone being pulled out of a bed backwards and being pinned to a wall.

Reactions: surge
Yeah, what Bob said. A good mix of skeptic and believer. You can't assume that every sound you hear is a spirit, nor can you assume that none of them are. Be willing to follow the evidence and accept what it reveals. If you go into a situation expecting to find ghosts, then you probably will find ghosts, and if you go in expecting not to find them, then you probably won't. No preconceptions.

Reactions: Sr-71 and Debi
Question for @malliard....do you use any special equipment when you're investigating, Ducky?

I think someone who is interested in the subject matter as opposed to being in it to make money is a good investigator. Also, someone who has some skepticism, but is also open to new ideas. I think once there is a tv show involved and the investigations have to yield "results" is when things go off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.