What is the one thing that should be taught in school that isn’t already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
It's no big revelation that our educational system is lacking. What is the one thing that you wish were taught in school?

I wish I had had a geography class. Any geography that I know is from curiosity where I looked up something in a book or on the net. I am not even sure where a lot of states are. If I had to fill in a blank map of the US I would have to guess at any states that are not in the Northeast.

What about you, what should be taught in school that is not?

Geography is a good choice. I think we all had a personal finance class in high school, but basically they only hit on very basic principles. I think they should teach you how to invest in school. Making wise investments when you're young can set you up for your future, but they don't teach that, or at least not in depth enough.

I never even saw one offered until college.
Yeah, it was required at my high school. I also took accounting in high school, which helped a lot when I took it later in college. I actually took economics too, as I got a degree in Business Administration before switching later to Anthropology.

I'd like to see a class on common sense and respect. Seriously. It appears to be missing from society these days. Although it used to be taught at home, not seeing that happen anymore. Of course, we'd have to find teachers who understand the subject, which could prove difficult.

I'd like to see a class on common sense and respect. Seriously. It appears to be missing from society these days. Although it used to be taught at home, not seeing that happen anymore. Of course, we'd have to find teachers who understand the subject, which could prove difficult.
Those are so rare anymore, maybe that will become a new double degree - major in Common Sense with a minor in Respect!

Reactions: Debi
All good suggestions. I would add critical thinking to the list, along with the basics of filling out college loan apps and how to apply and interview for a job.
YES on filling out the college paperwork! I was so unprepared for doing all of that, because I fell through the cracks in high school regarding that. The school counselors were so overloaded with students, that unless you were a discipline issue, you rarely if ever saw a counselor. Because of that, and not knowing to ask so early into senior year all the right questions, I missed the boat on getting the scholarship and other paperwork for college filled out. I'm sure I could have received some kind of assistance for college, but did not know to apply sooner. Because of that, I just ended up at the local community college, which was of course less expensive, but not the route I would have chosen.

Good point on the job preparation too! Never too early to start learning how to apply for work!

Another one I would add too, is my high school was a college-preparatory one (I know, oh the irony in not preparing me for college! :rolleyes:). Because of this, I am assuming, they never talked about trade jobs. I would have liked to have known about going into a professional trade job. Those skills are always going to be in demand, can be very fulfilling, and if you're union, the pay and benefits are excellent.

Oh, and MUCH more exposure to different types of careers available! I took all the tests they had, which are supposed to steer you in a certain direction. Problem was, I scored pretty even across the board in all the subjects, so nothing stood out as a special strength, and therefore interest. One example to me is engineering. I think I would have enjoyed a career in engineering, but I knew nothing about it in high school nor knew to ask. I don't know how they could cover more career opportunities, but it sure would have helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.