Weird Figure Seen on Home Surveillance Camera

I think it's an insect, like a centipede or silverfish. The shape and movement certainly look like that type bug. Titch can probably tell us if I'm right/wrong pretty quickly.

Reactions: garnetsilver
You're right! We need Titch to take a look at this. It's amazing how quickly people jump to conclusions, though.

Yeah - the video looks like a bug moving across the lens. Not too sure about a silverfish or centipede, but maybe something more like a Webspinner, which is becoming quite common over here these days, or some other variant of flying arthropod:

unnamed.png

They are long and fast-moving, and would certainly blur out in the shape defined in the video.

The still picture:

shape.jpg

Issues I have with this as an investigator are:

i) No time or date stamp is shown to state when it was actually caught. Comparing the grass area in the top right of both the image and video, and the difference between the rubbish in the still image, and the cleanliness in the video, it is obvious that these captures were taken some time apart.
ii) Only available in a still shot, no video, despite searching all the outlets covering this story. To me, it lacks credibility.
iii) The article states the woman as stating, 'My partner was up during the night and saw it on the camera'. However, it is clearly daytime and an inconsistency to the story presented. If they caught it at night, where are the night images?
iv) In all my years researching the paranormal, I have never heard of a credible black mass or shadow person being captured outdoors in broad daylight - it goes against everything we know about this phenomenon.

In my opinion, this is just dirt of some kind or something else just stuck on the lens. It is too solid in areas and nothing can really be defined from it.

Last edited:
My first thought was the bug was an earwig, but I didn't know if there were earwigs in the UK. In any event, I knew it was something long relative to its width. Looking at the photo of the webspinner I think you nailed it.

To be honest I didn't pay much attention to the still photo, but you're right it was not taken from the video.

I wonder if this is the first time a priest was asked to bless a bug and a smudge?

Thanks.

I wonder if this is the first time a priest was asked to bless a bug and a smudge?

Not to be too negative, but I would be interested to know if a Priest actually did visit the property and conduct a blessing.

When the media reports on events like this, and it made most of the major papers here in the UK, they usually follow up any information quite well, and normally would be contacting the priest or the church for comment, for example.

There was absolutely nothing that I could find in this instance on this being done, and the story seems to be purely based on the account of the woman who submitted the story........

Reactions: Lynne
Not to be too negative, but I would be interested to know if a Priest actually did visit the property and conduct a blessing.

When the media reports on events like this, and it made most of the major papers here in the UK, they usually follow up any information quite well, and normally would be contacting the priest or the church for comment, for example.

There was absolutely nothing that I could find in this instance on this being done, and the story seems to be purely based on the account of the woman who submitted the story........
Yes, I get that. When I see an internet blog/site story about a UFO in a populated area, one of the first things I do is look at legitimate MSM sites and the database from the NUFORC to see if the sighting was covered/reported.

Several months ago one of the UFO sites showed a series of UFO photographs taken from a car around dusk along a major highway in the LA area on a clear Saturday evening. The photos showed a good amount of automobile traffic on that stretch of highway, and a number of nice houses along the highway. The blog article reported the UFO as "mothership" in size, yet despite the thing being huge and reported/photographed in clear weather on a nice spring evening, not one of the numerous Los Angeles news sites mentioned it. Likewise it was never reported to NUFORC.

Reactions: titch2k6
I agree it might be a bug. Those type of cameras have a slow shutter speed if I’m not mistaken, we’ve seen a lot of bug ghosts. Although you just never know….

Reactions: titch2k6