WEEKEND CHAT THREAD

I know I could listen in perfect audio to stations around the world, but there is just something about listening to terrestrial radio that is fun and magical, you just never know what you might hear...spy number stations from Cuba, Japanese stations, Indian stations, I talked to South Africa a couple times last year, it can be real fun.
Yes, I could see where that would be enjoyable. So you're a Ham then? I don't know anything about Ham, but I want to learn it.

Reactions: Carroll
yes I am a radio ham, I like to talk to other hams from other countries a lot, I can talk with a microphone, or I can use my computer and use digital modes to type to others, I can send email, files, all sorts of stuff. I work with our local Emergency Manager and me and other hams help the county in emergency situations. I specialize in working in the local hospital where we would be sending lots of digital traffic to other hospitals. we train quarterly.

Reactions: DoTell
Did you ever encounter the undersea ghosts I hear about? Did you hear any stories?
No, never have encountered undersea ghosts. I have heard of haunted ships, but no haunted relics. I have been a little creeped out on some night dives for sure though!

yes I am a radio ham, I like to talk to other hams from other countries a lot, I can talk with a microphone, or I can use my computer and use digital modes to type to others, I can send email, files, all sorts of stuff. I work with our local Emergency Manager and me and other hams help the county in emergency situations. I specialize in working in the local hospital where we would be sending lots of digital traffic to other hospitals. we train quarterly.
Wow, how interesting! It is the emergency aspect I am interested in too. I have thought about trying to get involved in marine radio maybe too.

Wow, how interesting! It is the emergency aspect I am interested in too. I have thought about trying to get involved in marine radio maybe too.
if you have a radio that can listen to 14.300 mhz or 14300 khz you can listen to the mobile maritime service net, it runs all day. They get check ins from all over the pacific and atlantic, Caribbean. It is fun to listen to. Than frequency is within the ham band of 20 meters.

creeped out from what?
Night dives are just a bit different than diving during the day. You can only see where your light is shining, so sometimes your light will just catch a fleeting glance at something and you're not quite sure what it is. A lot of sea creatures are nocturnal, so there is a lot of activity at night. If you don't quite see the "thing" you think it is a shark of course! Or one of these ugly guys or something similar:

1680583614_1f15f01b3e.jpg

Night dives are just a bit different than diving during the day. You can only see where your light is shining, so sometimes your light will just catch a fleeting glance at something and you're not quite sure what it is. A lot of sea creatures are nocturnal, so there is a lot of activity at night. If you don't quite see the "thing" you think it is a shark of course! Or one of these ugly guys or something similar:

1680583614_1f15f01b3e.jpg
oh just a pretty little teddy bear! lol as it is chewing my arm off lol

Reactions: Seahunter