Used to believe...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

What is something funny you as a child, or your kids or grandkids, used to believe?

428378238_122170242584014325_1523158514021917788_n.jpg

When I was real little, like 4 or 5, my parents had a car where the antenna collapsed when the car was off but would extend to its full length when starting the engine. I also noticed that older cars which didn't run well, (breaking down, stalling, backfiring, ect) all seemed to have bent or broken antenna. When taken all together I thought that the way cars worked was that the antenna sent a signal to the tires telling them to turn and move. Just like the little remote control car that I had!

The usual for me...Santa, Easter bunny etc....
However my oldest daughter, she was about 4. At the time I had a pager, working for a big tree company. Crystal swore there was a frog inside my pager, lol I always had it on vibrate, so it kinda sounded like a frog ;bg3

Oh Gawd.....The RR (Railroad sign), My oldest brother Rob, told me when I was little that the RR Meant his name, Rob R. Lol. Thats not the best part, trying to convince other kids of that made me look like quite the dumb (blank) ! LOL.

I found out Ol Saint Nick wasn't the real deal when I was about 10. Sorta...knew but sorta crushed too. :confounded:

I also believed when I was little that Life would always be fun and easy.....Boy, was I wrong!! ;bg3

Last edited:
A few from grandma when I was young were, if you drink after eating peanuts your gut will explode, cucumber skins are poison, you have to remove them then run a fork down the cucumber to release the toxin. If you pull a face and the wind changes you are stuck like that. Ghosts and the paranormal are not real. At least the last one was proved wrong to her when her late husband appeared one night :p. I wouldn't have stuck my tongue out at gran when alive as she would have knocked my head off, lol.

I remember my mom telling us that we couldn't swim until a half hour after we ate because we could get cramps and drown. I don't really think that's a thing. She also used to say to wear a coat or sweater on spring days, when asked why, she said it was because there was cold air in the warm. We just accepted it.

The older kids in the neighborhood learned the word 'bullsh#%.' Thought it was 'bull ship.' So I said that later in the afternoon, and the nice Croatian lady who baby sat us introduced me to Lava soap.

Or was it the wooben spoon ?