Traditional or not?

My middle son works for CAT in Peoria. Long ago there was a new employee from India who had not experienced a Thanksgiving here in the US. He invited my son and his family over for an Indian meal on Thanksgiving day. Since that time, on Thanksgiving, that tradition continues and the two families meet for that Indian meal. My son follows up the following Thursday with a traditional meal of turkey and all the fixin's to share.

It has slowly changed over the years. For just two people, I make my cranberry relish, and maybe roast a turkey breast and serve a side of veggies. One year we just roasted a chicken and served it with various sides, like mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. Roasting a whole turkey and having to cut it up is a lot of work so we don't do this anymore. We share the cooking duties, and make sure to watch a couple movies later on.

Growing up I kinda hated Thanksgiving (also Christmas, Easter, and any holiday where family gathered). My parents were divorced which meant my sisters and I had to split our time between different households who weren't welcoming with each other. On top of this my Dad's parents were divorced and my Dad had remarried and divorced again. So every holiday was spent driving back and forth across the sprawling metropolis of Los Angeles and Orange Counties, only being able to spend a limited amount of time with each family faction. Thanksgiving was breakfast with grandma, brunch with my half sister, lunch with my cousins, supper at my uncle's house and dinner with grandpa. Did I mention everyone lived 1 to 2 hours away from each other?

Today I live in a completely different state from everyone and am able to sit and relax with my wife and kids. It's nice and quiet and I enjoy every second of it. For the past few years my kids and I use this time to play a video game called Overcooked where the players have to work together to get orders out of a wacky, chaotic kitchen. It's a lot of fun and last year we talked my wife into playing with us.

As for food, I do the cooking because I love to cook. It's fairly traditional with herb roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, bread stuffing, cranberry sauce (from actual cranberries, not a can) and for veggies it's one or more of steamed broccoli, sauted asparagus, creamed spinach or crispy pan fried Brussel sprouts.

There is a tradition that comes from my wife's family. At the end of the day I make sure all the 8 primal cuts of the bird (wings, breaststroke, legs, thighs) are removed and the remaining carcass is put into the crackpot with some water to stew overnight. The next morning we separate the bones from the meat then add tomatoes, onions, corn, green chili and rice to the meat and broth. After a few more hours in the crackpot it makes a delicious spicy turkey soup.

Since my parents moved to Florida, i have spent my turkey day at my sister's house. We will watch football and she serves the typical trimmings. Love the green bean casserole. When my parents were up here, we would have dinner at their house. This holiday season we'll feel the absence of my father for sure. It would be nice if my mom could be up here with us. She may spend some time with neighbors down there, though just doesn't feel right to me.

Growing up we had a very traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. Mom did all the cooking.

Today with the Misses and three grown daughters who live nearby, we share the cooking duties and rotate the host house. The host house will cook a turkey and sometimes a ham. The others will cook the side dishes.

For in-laws who may live some distance away, my daughters have agreements ahead of time of which holidays they will spend with which family and rotate the holidays. No driving on the holiday day.

My middle son works for CAT in Peoria. Long ago there was a new employee from India who had not experienced a Thanksgiving here in the US. He invited my son and his family over for an Indian meal on Thanksgiving day. Since that time, on Thanksgiving, that tradition continues and the two families meet for that Indian meal. My son follows up the following Thursday with a traditional meal of turkey and all the fixin's to share.
That is so wonderful, what a great tradition to start. Joining family and cultures is the best.

Since my parents moved to Florida, i have spent my turkey day at my sister's house. We will watch football and she serves the typical trimmings. Love the green bean casserole. When my parents were up here, we would have dinner at their house. This holiday season we'll feel the absence of my father for sure. It would be nice if my mom could be up here with us. She may spend some time with neighbors down there, though just doesn't feel right to me.
Any chance you and your sis could surprise her and go down there for the holiday?

We are pretty traditional. Mom always did the cooking until the last few years. The family all brings something, and we have a potluck thanksgiving. We still have the traditional fare, but everyone pitches in.