Those Pesky Instructions...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Fess up! Who reads those pesky instructions that come with a new product?
I read them all. However, my hubs and the boys never do, resulting in some truly interesting outcomes, with the main question being "Why won't this thing work?" or "Why doesn't that look right?"

With all the new "stuff" that Santa left for everyone, who did and who did not read the instructions?

Anyone ever have some "interesting" outcomes from not doing so?

• Big Grin
Reactions: ozentity
I almost always read the instructions, usually twice just to make sure I have it all. Sometimes I even augment that by watching YouTube videos of people showing how the new gizmo works. I paid too much of my hard earned money on the new shiny thing to just to break or otherwise damage it because I tried to "figure it out" on my own.

I mean, have you ever been using something and thought to yourself "this was a bad design, they should have moved this part here, or at least designed like this so that the whole thing worked better and you wouldn't need this extra part over here"? Well then what makes you think that you're going to be able to just "figure it out" if you definitely have designed it that way to begin with?

My hubs, bless him, got a new Kindle for Christmas. He's pretty deaf, and has some vision issues, but the Kindle gives prompts on what to do and how to set things up. After messing it up on his own because he won't follow those prompts, I began my quest to guide him through. It looked much like this scene from the movie Miracle Worker about Hellen Keller:

download.jpeg

Last edited:
i always read the instructions, and like stevedog stated. if its something electronic or highly in-depth i will watch a video or two concerning it... i even make blueprints/plans and instructions on the stuff i build while woodworking, dimensions, size, placement, etc......

I never read the instructions, probably because I hate making things, lol. I'm more a gardener and animal person which is good living on a property but also bad as you have to fix things yourself. I like doing the barter system and get someone capable to build things.