The Weather Outside is Frightful....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Did you sing that thread title? ;mn1;mn2
With this weather affecting everyone, how about stories from the "worst weather I've had to deal with", aka Storm Stories.

Have you walked to the store in hip deep snow? Have you had a flood to deal with?
I know we have one member who was born in a blizzard!
How about your pets vs. the weather? Anybody got boots for your pups?
Give me your weather related stories!

One of my late dad’s Shelties absolutely loved the snow. He always had a hard time getting him in because he loved it outside, but it was even more difficult on the rare occasions we got it.
One year we had a lot of snow and my son was coming to visit with his Golden Retriever. I went out to shovel a small area so Marshall, his dog, would have room to potty. I should have saved the effort because he came in, went out the back door and literally "plowed" my backyard himself. That dog loved the snow and just went nuts. At the time, I had a small dog so at least I didn't have to worry about losing him in a snowdrift! lol

Speaking of, I did lose one in a drift once...for a minute . Poor guy took a step off the back porch and sank. He was quickly rescued but for the rest of the snow storm he was a puppy pad guy who refused to go out that door again!

The worst snow story I can remember was around the winter of 95-96, I think. I had sprained my ankle severely and was in a cast, using crutches to walk. I lived on the second floor of my building and on a narrow city street where people were always fighting for parking spots. Imagine trying to navigate icy stairs with crutches! We were having blizzard after blizzard, schools closed for a long time, and the tankers bringing oil for heating got stuck on the lake. I am usually a winter lover, but that winter I absolutely hated! I remember being grateful to a large hotel who rented out spaces in their parking lot so I didn't have to shovel or fight for space to park.

Two times come to mind. One was the first snowfall when i moved into my house. Got one foot of snow one day followed by another foot the next day. Took the township a few days to clear my street. The second was biblical rain month. It rained for an entire month and resulted in all of the bridges and main overpass into town to be wrecked then have to be rebuilt. I remember they brought a dive team in to inspect the dam to make sure that wasn't compromised. That would've been the icing on the cake if that broke.

We had one major ice storm that i remember. I worked at a boating supply store then and happened to be working one of the boat shows. I worked both Atlantic City and Philadelphia Boat Shows, so i think i was in AC for the storm. I remember coming out to leave and my car was completely encased in ice lol. Chipping away at it, i broke my mirror and antenna lol. Getting off the top level of the parking garage was oh so fun lol.

Dogs are pure entertainment in the snow lol.
This was the same dog that would randomly attack the same tree several times. It was fun to watch - unless you were the tree of course. He was just a little crazy, but he was definitely a good dog. I still have a few pics of him and the old crew.

we rarely get snow snow here, theres the major ice storm that happens every ten years or so, and shuts the entire state down, but that and any snow only lasts 2 or 3 days and is gone and back to 50 degrees or so.....had a lot of snow when i lived out west. dry cold so wasnt actually too bad most times, just got tired of snow in November and the ground staying white until march....lol...... tornadoes and flooding are our biggest concerns here. flooding can be very bad with roads closing, and houses being flooded. rivers and swamps over run and dams flood over.....

One of my late dad’s Shelties absolutely loved the snow. He always had a hard time getting him in because he loved it outside, but it was even more difficult on the rare occasions we got it.
Our Sheltie also lived for snow. You'd let her out and she'd make for deepest drift available and dive head long into it. Often with snow standing taller than she was, you'd see nothing more than the black tip of her nose moving through the snow. Looked like a submarine periscope sticking out and moving through the snow.