The Nanny State: You're Overweight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Sorry for the late post today! I was partying with the "evil" birthday cake and turning 61. As I took a bite of cake, I suddenly felt like I was doing something wrong. Why? Because recently the meme has become "Overweight people are evil and on the same level as the evil smokers." This past year there has been a new acceptance of bashing those who may have weight issues. I have described myself before as "Aunt Meg" from the movie "Twister", which is a pretty dead on description. Over the years I have been from skinny to overweight, and there has always been some level of discrimination that occurs as the scales go up. But we seem to be, as a society, going to the mindset that it's OK to look down upon those who are weight challenged.

I really get tired of explaining that my medication and medical problems are part of my issue, per my doctor. I get tired of reading online articles about fitness experts, Hollywood, and now our own government, telling us how we are to look to "fit in." Fifteen years ago I predicted the food police were coming, and here they are, folks. The government is already telling us what we are allowed to eat, and it's just going to get worse.

Which brings us to the Nanny State overall. Have you noticed all the things government has it's tentacles into? What worries me most is that when they get full control of the food and water, there is no way out. They've got us. How do you feel about loosing your freedom of choices? What is coming next?

Well Debi I think it's going to get a whole lot worse. It's been allowed to get this bad because unfortunately there's a whole lotta stupid out there among us who don't even believe there is a problem. It's funny mentioned the food and water because, from what I understand, that's exactly what the Federal government is doing right now. Well, one of the many things anyway. I've been reading quite a bit about it for the past couple of years. I can't for the life of me remember the Bill number....but a Bill was in the House which would basically stop most small scale farming, farmer's markets and even backyard gardens. It contained a whole slew of new regulations including expensive safety inspections and apparently new and expensive machinery that would be required to keep growers legal. So, of course, the average small family farms would be completely regulated out of business and even simple backyard gardens would become highly restricted or illegal. And guess who was sponsoring the bill?.....Monsanto, the biggest ag-food company in America. On top of that, the Feds have been taking control of the water supply in bits and pieces for quite a long time. In fact, right in my own home town there is now a section of the Little Miami River (I'm from Ohio) which is now owned by the Federal government. Basically they can dam it up right there, extract drinking water, whatever they feel like doing. There was also an odd thing on the ballot here in 2012 that would give the government complete control to ALL standing water in the state I believe. Including farm ponds and other privately owned waters. I think it was a State thing, not Federal, but it still struck me as....wtf? I voted NO. Didn't like the looks of it one bit.

Why are they doing it? Can't be certain here, could be any number of reasons from sinister conspiracy to financial or just because someone is honestly concerned about the environment, who knows. But it sure doesn't sound like a good idea. Whenever the government, State or Federal, wants to seize private property it raises red flags with me.

The Federal government especially has just been allowed to grow into a hideous monster in ways never intended by the Founders and something definitely needs done about it. I do wonder though if it's far too late.

Happy Birthday, Debi!

nfpv5x.gif

And welcome 6strings1pickup!

Well Debi I think it's going to get a whole lot worse. It's been allowed to get this bad because unfortunately there's a whole lotta stupid out there among us who don't even believe there is a problem. It's funny mentioned the food and water because, from what I understand, that's exactly what the Federal government is doing right now. Well, one of the many things anyway. I've been reading quite a bit about it for the past couple of years. I can't for the life of me remember the Bill number....but a Bill was in the House which would basically stop most small scale farming, farmer's markets and even backyard gardens. It contained a whole slew of new regulations including expensive safety inspections and apparently new and expensive machinery that would be required to keep growers legal. So, of course, the average small family farms would be completely regulated out of business and even simple backyard gardens would become highly restricted or illegal. And guess who was sponsoring the bill?.....Monsanto, the biggest ag-food company in America. On top of that, the Feds have been taking control of the water supply in bits and pieces for quite a long time. In fact, right in my own home town there is now a section of the Little Miami River (I'm from Ohio) which is now owned by the Federal government. Basically they can dam it up right there, extract drinking water, whatever they feel like doing. There was also an odd thing on the ballot here in 2012 that would give the government complete control to ALL standing water in the state I believe. Including farm ponds and other privately owned waters. I think it was a State thing, not Federal, but it still struck me as....wtf? I voted NO. Didn't like the looks of it one bit.

Why are they doing it? Can't be certain here, could be any number of reasons from sinister conspiracy to financial or just because someone is honestly concerned about the environment, who knows. But it sure doesn't sound like a good idea. Whenever the government, State or Federal, wants to seize private property it raises red flags with me.

The Federal government especially has just been allowed to grow into a hideous monster in ways never intended by the Founders and something definitely needs done about it. I do wonder though if it's far too late.

I feel is it too late. What good is having power if one cannot use it? Power has to be exercised, as that is intrinsic to power.

Only the People can end this, by voting for a 3rd party, that represents the average American again. I personally vote against every democrat and republican incumbent, and will continue to do so. But so few will do it, as they are victims of very clever propaganda. I used to be a liberal dem, way back when it still smelled of FDR. Those days are long gone. I am fed up with the overstepping of the constitution, caused by men lusting for more and more power. And I will never vote for either party again, no matter what lies they try to feed me. I cannot and will not trust any of them. If average people were not so conditioned to a two party system, we could have ended this two sides of the same coin in rule a couple decades ago.

If there was a place to go, that still respected the majority in their society, I would try to move there, no matter where it was. The America I grew up in is long gone, and the populace obviously likes the America we now have.

Reactions: Debi
Part of the problem is our food supply. Most of our food is processed and high fructose sugar is added to everything. It's in ketchup, yoghurt, cereal, hot dogs, pasta sauce, etc. Places you would not even think to look. Our bodies are not burning clean fuel. It's no wonder it's so hard to stay healthy.

I watched this video the other day and now doing a cleanse and getting probiotics (with any company, not necessarily this one) is on my list of things to do. It explains how polluted our food system has become and how most of us have parasites.

http://keybiotics.com/video.html

I'm aware of that bill...it also sought to control kids working on their own family farms, I think. And you've probably seen the articles about people having to pull up gardens because local government doesn't "like the look."
I, too, worry it may already be too late. I really hope not, because I have kids and grandkids who are going to have to live in what we leave them....one messed up world!

I watched this video the other day and now doing a cleanse and getting probiotics (with any company, not necessarily this one) is on my list of things to do. It explains how polluted our food system has become and how most of us have parasites.

http://keybiotics.com/video.html
It's great that we currently have the options to choose probiotics (and I've heard of some great results using those, BTW.) My concern is the lack of options coming at us. Strings kind of nailed it with his statements. They are trying to own the water and food, and once that happens, we'll be told what we can and can't have of it. It's already happening with meds (Obamacare at work!) Heard from my 89 yr. old "other mother" today that the insurance refused to pay for a script she and her doctor feel is necessary...one she's been on for some time now. The government "feels" it's not necessary "due to her age and diagnosis" and therefore will not pay. Without this med, she's gonna relapse quickly. I'm sending her the $100 it costs for the one month refill she has to pay out of pocket until her daughter can deal with this. If you don't fit the demographics, if you're old or disabled, you're already in trouble. We're not worth the effort or resources. The death panels are real...they're just named insurance companies under Obamacare.
They control the meds, and now they're working on the other basics....food, water and air. It's real, people, and it's here now.

Part of the problem is our food supply. Most of our food is processed and high fructose sugar is added to everything. It's in ketchup, yoghurt, cereal, hot dogs, pasta sauce, etc. Places you would not even think to look. Our bodies are not burning clean fuel. It's no wonder it's so hard to stay healthy.
Oh man, I stopped drinking cokes with that stuff in it a few years ago and lost 50 pounds by just cutting out the high fructose sugar. I did drink a lot of cokes in those days. I started gaining weight when they replaced the cane sugar with the high fructose stuff which I guess must be cheaper for coca cola to use. A few years later I found out about it and stopped drinking soft drinks and the pounds just melted off. I am not longer overweight, even though folks my age generally gain weight.

Reactions: Naked Apple
Status
Not open for further replies.