The Mandela Effect and You

Sorry but by my recollection, it was always spelled JC Penney and I never heard that Mandela died in prison in the 1980s and the peanut butter was always spelled "Jif" and the WB cartoons were always "Looney Tunes" (not Toons) and the TV show was always "Sex AND the City."

The spelling of words and odd wordings in general are just things I've always noticed. For example, it has always bugged me that the "R" in Toys R Us is always written backwards in their logo. It seemed like a mean thing to do to kids who were learning to read.

I don't know about the other alleged "Mandela Effects" because I never paid much attention to them but, judging by the ones I'm familiar with, I am skeptical of all of them.

Last edited:
They changed the name of the Berenstein Bears to 'Berenstain Bears' and then altered the past to make it look like they were always called that! I'm not sure when it happened exactly. I read some of the books in the 80s and then a few years back the name had changed and it had always been that way. It seems I'm far from alone in noticing.
Most, if not all, of these things can be explained by the TV shows Doctor Who and Quantum Leap.

When they got tired of his crap two "Gentlemen" took him by the arms and led him away...Nobody really knows what his eventual destiny was. Maybe died in prison or maybe escaped to Taiwan.

Not a pop culture thing, but years ago I had a mobile phone, then one day I didn't, which was odd as I hadn't been out anywhere with it. It just vanished from my home. Nobody had been round since I last saw it, so nobody could have have taken it. I turned the place upside-down looking for it and eventually saw it sitting on the dresser in my bedroom. It was still fully charged and ready to go.
Not so strange, except that that happened four years later!
It was just as if it had blinked out of existence, then back into existence years later, so a similar feeling of the universe rewriting, or a glitch in the matrix. Now people are just surprised that I have a flip open phone!

Last edited:
Sorry but by my recollection, it was always spelled JC Penney and I never heard that Mandela died in prison in the 1980s and the peanut butter was always spelled "Jif" and the WB cartoons were always "Looney Tunes" (not Toons) and the TV show was always "Sex AND the City."

The spelling of words and odd wordings in general are just things I've always noticed. For example, it has always bugged me that the "R" in Toys R Us is always written backwards in their logo. It seemed like a mean thing to do to kids who were learning to read.

I don't know about the other alleged "Mandela Effects" because I never paid much attention to them but, judging by the ones I'm familiar with, I am skeptical of all of them.
I totally understand this view point. I too notice the way words are spelled and the way things are phrased. It annoys me that there are *so* many examples of the so-called "Mandela Effect" that are simply people's misconception of spellings.

However, I'm not dismissing the effect completely. There *are* one or two that have me baffled. I am convinced, for example, that the Ford logo never had the weird curlicue on the cross bar of the F and that the VW logo never had a gap between the V and the W (because I remember thinking as a child what a clever logo it was because you could still tell it was a V and a W even though there was no separation of the letters).

The other one that has me flummoxed is that my sister and I both have a distinct recollection of a specific scene in the film "Don't Look Now", that has simply vanished!

Reactions: garnetsilver
I totally understand this view point. I too notice the way words are spelled and the way things are phrased. It annoys me that there are *so* many examples of the so-called "Mandela Effect" that are simply people's misconception of spellings.

However, I'm not dismissing the effect completely. There *are* one or two that have me baffled. I am convinced, for example, that the Ford logo never had the weird curlicue on the cross bar of the F and that the VW logo never had a gap between the V and the W (because I remember thinking as a child what a clever logo it was because you could still tell it was a V and a W even though there was no separation of the letters).

The other one that has me flummoxed is that my sister and I both have a distinct recollection of a specific scene in the film "Don't Look Now", that has simply vanished!
Which scene was it? I saw that movie too.

Which scene was it? I saw that movie too.
It's when Donald Sutherland's character is chasing the little girl in the red coat around the canals. He loses sight of her momentarily and then she suddenly jumps on his back. It's quite a shocking moment. But, if you watch the film now, the scene just isn't there...

It's when Donald Sutherland's character is chasing the little girl in the red coat around the canals. He loses sight of her momentarily and then she suddenly jumps on his back. It's quite a shocking moment. But, if you watch the film now, the scene just isn't there...
Oh, I do remember that scene! How does the movie explain his death if we don't see the "little girl" attack him?:confused: I also read the story and remember that scene from the book as well.

Oh, I do remember that scene! How does the movie explain his death if we don't see the "little girl" attack him?:confused: I also read the story and remember that scene from the book as well.
She attacks him right at the very end, yes, but not by jumping on his back. The scene we remember was from earlier in the film, not at the end.