Svengoolie Fans, Calling All Svengoolie Fans!

Paintman

Go Go White Sox
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
If you've lived in Chicagoland anytime since 1980 or so, we have a Saturday horror/monster movie host named Svengoolie. Akin to Elvira, Dr. Morgus, and Creature Features, Sven dresses up in a Dracula suit, does a corny Catskills schtik, throws rubber chickens, does commercial parodies, silly songs, oh... and plays really really bad movies.

He helps me keep in touch with my inner 12 year old.

No longer proprietary to Chicago, Sven is on MeTV in most American markets, Sat. 9pm Central time. His website is svengoolie.com . Tonight is "The Son of Dracula" if you need a Lon Chaney Jr. fix. He's terrorizing a Louisiana bayou plantation under the name 'Alucard'. (Get it?, no?...re- read that in a mirror).Strike that. Maybe it can't be seen in a mirror.

Hope we have some fans on board. Do you have any favorite old horror movies to turn us on to? I'll humbly submit 'House on Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price, and "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" starring uh,..um...uh, the guy who played Dean Wormer in "Animal House.'

Reactions: surge and Debi
If you've lived in Chicagoland anytime since 1980 or so, we have a Saturday horror/monster movie host named Svengoolie. Akin to Elvira, Dr. Morgus, and Creature Features, Sven dresses up in a Dracula suit, does a corny Catskills schtik, throws rubber chickens, does commercial parodies, silly songs, oh... and plays really really bad movies.

He helps me keep in touch with my inner 12 year old.

No longer proprietary to Chicago, Sven is on MeTV in most American markets, Sat. 9pm Central time. His website is svengoolie.com . Tonight is "The Son of Dracula" if you need a Lon Chaney Jr. fix. He's terrorizing a Louisiana bayou plantation under the name 'Alucard'. (Get it?, no?...re- read that in a mirror).Strike that. Maybe it can't be seen in a mirror.

Hope we have some fans on board. Do you have any favorite old horror movies to turn us on to? I'll humbly submit 'House on Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price, and "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" starring uh,..um...uh, the guy who played Dean Wormer in "Animal House.'
OMG!!! The memories!!! And Sven has been around since around 1971, my friend! Date nights in the boyfriend's basement and all....lol.

OK, a favorite is The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, and also a fan of House on Haunted Hill. So glad to hear he's out there again! Must go find him......:)

Reactions: curandero81
image.jpg
OMG!!! The memories!!! And Sven has been around since around 1971, my friend! Date nights in the boyfriend's basement and all....lol.

OK, a favorite is The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, and also a fan of House on Haunted Hill. So glad to hear he's out there again! Must go find him......:)
I am familiar with this so called scary Sven....but having been closer to Indy I was introduced to Sammy Terry.....oooppooop

Ahhh yes, may he rest in peace. Interesting that they continue to use his old shows every Halloween here in Indy, tho. Quite the legend in the area!
I believe his son is caring on the Sammy Terry persona...per a rock solid source...if it is there....it has to true...WIKI
The role of Sammy Terry has been held by two people and originated with Robert "Bob" Carter in 1962-2010 with his son Mark took over the role from his father, 2010-present.

Reading up on the early Indy TV stations it is so hard to believe how some of these memorable characters were created...by one or two people and almost no $$$...just told do it..better be good...better make our sponsor happy...and the public smile...and boy did Sammy Terry..having a local spook to intro scary movies and provide entertainment and a brand...grew all over the country with each market having their unique goul

Reactions: Debi
Reading up on the early Indy TV stations it is so hard to believe how some of these memorable characters were created...by one or two people and almost no $$$...just told do it..better be good...better make our sponsor happy...and the public smile...and boy did Sammy Terry..having a local spook to intro scary movies and provide entertainment and a brand...grew all over the country with each market having their unique goul
Remember Cowboy Bob? Channel 4? He lives down the road from me. He really is quite the cowboy.

Reactions: curandero81
He used to use my driveway as a turnaround point when jogging with his dog. He also helped a relative with their animals when their house burned down. Nice man.

I gotta look up Sammy Terry, as I'm hazy on remembering him from my IU days when the guys in the dorm would talk monster movie hosts .
It's there I learned that no matter where you live , everyone has their own monster host. Shoestring budgets, cheapo sets, and "just be good and keep the sponsors happy" seems universal to the genre.
Sven's story sounds similar to Sammy Terry's 'son.' Svengoolie was actually Son of Svengoolie, the original being Jerry Bishop aka Svengoolie. He dressed like a hippy man. After 10 years, Bishop gave Sven his blessing and let him drop the 'Son of".
Sven2 also a legend here, too. From Bulls and Blackhawks games to being a write-in for Mayor, to The Museum of Broadcasting displaying his old coffin (wow, you should see the new one! Gene Simmons from Kiss would want to be buried in it.) Interestingly, Svens alter ego, the mild mannered Rich Koz wears regular clothes while hosting 'Stoogapalooza.'
Strange though, having met both men, I've never seen them together. Hmm....... must be Vampire powers,........ or Moe powers.

Reactions: Debi