Student twirls pencil in class, gets psych exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
The idiotic policies in place throughout the public school system in this country never cease to amaze and bewilder. It's a good thing I went to school in the 70s and 80s, because in today's climate of stupidity I'd have been sent for a new test each week!

(Thanks for allowing us to edit thread titles, DM. It's just saved me from looking like an idiot.)

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/ind...tudent_not_suspended_for_twirling_pencil.html

If a student "demonstrates odd behaviors, non-conforming behaviors, it causes us to take a closer look," he told the newspaper. "If a student gestures or demonstrates behavior that could be construed as a threat to others in a classroom ... then that's also a trigger for us."

Yikes! Who decides what constitutes a "threat"?

The idiotic policies in place throughout the public school system in this country never cease to amaze and bewilder. It's a good thing I went to school in the 70s and 80s, because in today's climate of stupidity I'd have been sent for a new test each week!

(Thanks for allowing us to edit thread titles, DM. It's just saved me from looking like an idiot.)

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/ind...tudent_not_suspended_for_twirling_pencil.html
The kids are just fine...it's the country that's gone insane.

If a student "demonstrates odd behaviors, non-conforming behaviors, it causes us to take a closer look," he told the newspaper. "If a student gestures or demonstrates behavior that could be construed as a threat to others in a classroom ... then that's also a trigger for us."

Yikes! Who decides what constitutes a "threat"?

So no marching to a different drummer today? Most of it is harmless, and surely a person with a good brain could discern the difference.
Thoreau just rolled a bit in his earthly resting place.

You know I recall vividly attending school with all sorts of personalities. That is what made it interesting. Some were "out there" by common consensus of the rest of us, the "normal" crowd, LOL, and almost everyone to those grew up to be interesting and well to do people. The 'normal" ones, didn't faire as well. LOL.

Of course I can understand the paranoia and over reaction in some schools, given the killings that have taken place, and are becoming a common occurrence. I cannot believe that a red flag is some kid twirling a pencil. There are surely well studied signs that teachers can be taught to be aware of as long as the guide book wasn't written by some extremist who was paranoid as well.

And so once again, Beam me up Scotty, there are no intelligent lifeforms down here. LOL

I will thinking about getting some custom made tshirts out of good Egyptian cotton with that embroidered on the front in a futuristic font. I decided to start wearing tshirts again after refusing to wear one for the last 25 years but want good ones, and no pressed on designs. I bought a couple that were embroidered online, both with a mystical motif, and this is the way to go. These don't fade away. Sorry, off topic once again. :)

So no marching to a different drummer today? Most of it is harmless, and surely a person with a good brain could discern the difference.
Thoreau just rolled a bit in his earthly resting place.

You know I recall vividly attending school with all sorts of personalities. That is what made it interesting. Some were "out there" by common consensus of the rest of us, the "normal" crowd, LOL, and almost everyone to those grew up to be interesting and well to do people. The 'normal" ones, didn't faire as well. LOL.

Of course I can understand the paranoia and over reaction in some schools, given the killings that have taken place, and are becoming a common occurrence. I cannot believe that a red flag is some kid twirling a pencil. There are surely well studied signs that teachers can be taught to be aware of as long as the guide book wasn't written by some extremist who was paranoid as well.

And so once again, Beam me up Scotty, there are no intelligent lifeforms down here. LOL

I will thinking about getting some custom made tshirts out of good Egyptian cotton with that embroidered on the front in a futuristic font. I decided to start wearing tshirts again after refusing to wear one for the last 25 years but want good ones, and no pressed on designs. I bought a couple that were embroidered online, both with a mystical motif, and this is the way to go. These don't fade away. Sorry, off topic once again. :)
Here ya go, Laz!
http://signaturetshirts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_19&products_id=216

Status
Not open for further replies.