Store brand products: are they always a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
I'm sure we all buy store brands of various items when we shop. They're cheaper than the national brands, and the quality is usually comparable. However, I've discovered through trial and error that not all store brands are equal to name brands, and indeed there can be a lot of difference in quality from one store brand to another.

Around here, the dishwasher tabs have to be name brand, along with the regular bottle of dish soap. The store brands just don't do as good a job. Ditto for TP and paper towels, as well as hand soaps, shower gels, shampoo and deodorant. Not crazy about store brand mayo either, except for the one from Target.

Which products do you insist on buying from a name brand supplier because the cheaper version just doesn't stack up?

As I head out for groceries this morning, I can tell you I have a list that contains a mix of store brand and national brands! Will not do store brand hotdogs or meat products of any kind. TP and Paper towels are also not store brand, for sure! I've found some store brand can goods can be swapped out for national, but it's pretty much a trial and error thing to find what works or not. I do try to shop the outer perimeter of the store for fresh or frozen goods rather than canned and boxed to begin with, and I think most of the store brand food that is processed is best avoided if possible anyway. The one thing I've found that works as an even swap out is pasta. It's so simple to begin with it's difficult to mess that up too much.

Reactions: Seahunter and surge
As I head out for groceries this morning, I can tell you I have a list that contains a mix of store brand and national brands! Will not do store brand hotdogs or meat products of any kind. TP and Paper towels are also not store brand, for sure! I've found some store brand can goods can be swapped out for national, but it's pretty much a trial and error thing to find what works or not. I do try to shop the outer perimeter of the store for fresh or frozen goods rather than canned and boxed to begin with, and I think most of the store brand food that is processed is best avoided if possible anyway. The one thing I've found that works as an even swap out is pasta. It's so simple to begin with it's difficult to mess that up too much.
Yeah, definitely no cold cuts or meat products! Most of the time if we buy cold cuts it's from the deli counter, where they slice it off the chub. Or we just buy a turkey breast and I smoke it, then we make sandwiches from it.

Reactions: Seahunter
Just got back from grocery shopping and YIKES! Good grief! I need a mortgage on my home to afford to eat! Prices continue to go up weekly. I guess I may have to put a few more store brands in my basket next time. :eek:

Just got back from grocery shopping and YIKES! Good grief! I need a mortgage on my home to afford to eat! Prices continue to go up weekly. I guess I may have to put a few more store brands in my basket next time. :eek:
I saw a story on the news a couple days ago saying that the pork shortage is over, and the pig population has rebounded nicely. I haven't noticed a drop in bacon prices yet!

Reactions: Debi
I saw a story on the news a couple days ago saying that the pork shortage is over, and the pig population has rebounded nicely. I haven't noticed a drop in bacon prices yet!
Saw NO signs of that today! I track prices on key items, bacon being one of those. Even our check out girl was commenting about the cost of things skyrocketing. And BUTTER! Good Lord! I'm gettin' me a back yard cow!!!

I guess I'm the same. Some items, I just go with the cheapest, but some things I want the better quality - especially food. One store brand that I find consistently good quality is Costco's Kirkland line. Sometimes it's funny, it will even have the national brand name right on it too, but it is packaged for Costco and labeled Kirkland.

Reactions: surge and Debi
I usually get the generic version of an item, unless there is a big difference in the quality.The exception that I make is Coka Cola.No house brand soda can come close and I hate Pepsi. The better brands of ice cream-Breyers, Ben and Jerry, Hagen Daz are also better than the Stop and Shop or other house brand. I think it is because they do not use enough cream or milkfat or whatever. Trader Joes has a great line of products. Most of them are good, except certain things. Their ethnic food (Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc.) leaves a lot to be desired. They taste like a weak version of the real thing.

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
I guess I'm the same. Some items, I just go with the cheapest, but some things I want the better quality - especially food. One store brand that I find consistently good quality is Costco's Kirkland line. Sometimes it's funny, it will even have the national brand name right on it too, but it is packaged for Costco and labeled Kirkland.
I love Costco, and we used to buy quite a few Kirkland branded items. Unfortunately, the nearest one to me now is about two and a half hours of interstate away. I don't love Costco that much! :D

I read an article once that said some store brands are made by the same manufacturer as the nationals, and it's only the packaging that's different. Kirkland could very well be one of those.

Last edited:
I usually get the generic version of an item, unless there is a big difference in the quality.The exception that I make is Coka Cola.No house brand soda can come close and I hate Pepsi. The better brands of ice cream-Breyers, Ben and Jerry, Hagen Daz are also better than the Stop and Shop or other house brand. I think it is because they do not use enough cream or milkfat or whatever. Trader Joes has a great line of products. Most of them are good, except certain things. Their ethnic food (Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc.) leaves a lot to be desired. They taste like a weak version of the real thing.
I agree with you on the carbonated sodas. I haven't found a store brand yet that even comes close to matching Coke or Pepsi. I don't drink soda often, but when I do I want "the real thing". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.