Slenderman case verdict

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Jury finds Wisconsin girl mentally ill in Slender Man stabbing case

A Wisconsin girl who admitted to participating in the stabbing of a classmate to please horror character Slender Man will avoid prison after a jury determined Friday that she was mentally ill at the time of the attack.

Anissa Weier trembled as the jury's verdict was read after a week of testimony and some 11 hours of deliberations. She wasn't available afterward, but her attorney said Weier was relieved and cried following the verdict.

"I'm very thankful to the jurors for taking the time to look at what was really going on with her," Maura McMahon said, her own eyes wet from crying.

Weier and Morgan Geyser lured classmate Payton Leutner into the woods at a park in Waukesha, a Milwaukee suburb, in 2014. Geyser stabbed Leutner 19 times while Weier urged her on, according to investigators. A passing bicyclist found Leutner, who barely survived her wounds. All three girls were 12 at the time.

Both Weier and Geyser told detectives they felt they had to kill Leutner to become Slender Man's "proxies," or servants, and protect their families from the demon's wrath.

Weier, now 15, pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree intentional homicide in a deal with prosecutors in August. But she claimed she was mentally ill during the attack and not responsible for her actions, in a bid to be sent to a mental institution rather than prison. A plea agreement called for her to spend at least three years in a mental hospital if judged mentally ill, and 10 years in prison if not.

Reactions: Paintman
All the girls were 12 at the time of the incident.

What do you think of the verdict?

Whenever I hear things like this, I am in disbelief. I think, they were 12. When I was 12 I had crushes on girls, did my homework, played sports, went to school, etc. I wasn't thinking about, oh... MURDER!

I'm sort of closed-minded on the insanity plea. I always think anyone who commits or attempts to commit murder, HAS to be somewhat insane. Sane people don't usually kill people. I think it is a way overused loophole in our legal system and many people successfully avoid harsher penalties due to it.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
seems to me to be another case of hey i went insane let me off i agree with sea on this one people use it as a ploy to avoid any real punishment now thats not to say that it is not real because lets face it insanity can be real but it is far too overused in this context to avoid any real consequence

I think they knew what they were doing. They willfully planned that attack. I feel sorry for the victim! I don't know if jail was the answer but the public must be protected. When kids commit crimes they will get out and be worse in society. If they get a lot of mental help and rehab there may be a chance at restoring them to society. However my expierence with the system is that the money and services will not be there. So it's a monster on the street. There is no good outcome here.