Sleepovers

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
My 8 year old granddaughter is talking about having her first sleepover with her best friend. What do you remember of your sleepovers as a kid? Did you usually stay at your friend's or they stay with you? How about as a parent, any stories with you children's sleepovers?

Reactions: Lynne
I had quite a few sleepovers growing up, both with friends and cousins. Nothing of consequence ever happened to me, but my younger brother gained a nickname (he hated) and a place in family lore while spending the night with cousins at my Dad's sister's house.

The house was deep in the hills of Kentucky, darker than the inside of a boot out there. He woke up everyone in the house screaming there was something crawling all over him. When my aunt got into the room and turned on the light, the bed and immediate area around it was covered in feathers. The old feather mattress he was sleeping on had come apart at the seams and sent feathers everywhere. My aunt claimed they were still finding feathers months later. And for the rest of his life, and even at his memorial service, that side of the family called him "Feathers."

My house was the neighborhood place to play. My mom was everyones mother. So many sleepovers were at our place. I was a very busy working mom so I could not follow in her footsteps. Lindsey didn't get to do too many sleepovers.

Reactions: Benway and Paulm
basically, what selectric said. once we all turned 12 or so, instead of sleepovers we would all "camp out" in the tree fort at a friends house all through the spring and summer. which meant roaming the neighborhood at all hours of the night. we were lucky as kids that we lived on the flint river so the swamps and river took up all our free time. there was a grave yard right on the river that was in a state of much needed repair but was a cool place to hang out as a kid and then a teenager. roaming the neighborhood and river was always fun in the middle of the night.

Reactions: Benway
basically, what selectric said. once we all turned 12 or so, instead of sleepovers we would all "camp out" in the tree fort at a friends house all through the spring and summer. which meant roaming the neighborhood at all hours of the night. we were lucky as kids that we lived on the flint river so the swamps and river took up all our free time. there was a grave yard right on the river that was in a state of much needed repair but was a cool place to hang out as a kid and then a teenager. roaming the neighborhood and river was always fun in the middle of the night.
I think our generation was the last true free, play outside childhood. We did the same.