Technology skynet? you're thoughts

SyStEm0v3r1dE

why does the fly walk into the spiders web?
Reaction score
Its funny I have always been a big fan of the terminator films I own a couple of them and have seen all of them with the exception of the latest one. When I was younger the idea that some super advanced AI would take over control of the military sounded so far fetched to me. Now as we saw in the films this is exactly what happened, and it seems as though art may be at least it some ways imitating life in this case with drones being used more and more in combat operations, robots being used it warzones for things like recon and bomb defusion. With more and more AI technology being used within the military could it be possible that they one day go too far and develop something that is too smart for its own good?

Yeah, the unintended consequences of technology are what really scare me. Something so powerful and advanced as AI is great if it's used for good, but who decides what is good? And, technology is always going to find its way into the hands of the bad guys too.

Reactions: Grinchesbro
yea it just makes me really weary of things like this I mean 20 years ago we thought oh well that's a cool idea for a movie and now its like hey wait a second haven't we seen this some place before

Reactions: Seahunter
What worries me more than these machines or technologies, is the fact that humans have created them .The same humans that build nuclear power plants in areas that are susceptible to tsunami, or on fault lines ............ Skynet sighning off. Good Bye

Reactions: Debi and Seahunter
The social responsibilities of the scientist

I can’t imagine the emotional struggle experienced by the nuclear physicists who worked on the science of the atomic bombs that ultimately led to the 1945 obliteration of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and deaths of about 250,000 human beings within four months of the blasts. J. Robert Oppenheimer, most often credited as “father of the atomic bomb,” was noted in his 1967 NYT obituary as having said:

“Scientists are not delinquents,” he added. “Our work has changed the conditions in which men live, but the use made of these changes is the problem of governments, not of scientists.”

LET US CONSIDER WHAT OUR GOVERNMENT'S AND BUREAUCRAT'S RECORD HAS BEEN SO FAR ???
Not very good...just sayin'...

yep and that's why it could be really bad

Reactions: Debi
The government of course. Who else would know what is better for you than you do?

What happens when the government is the bad guys?
In this Postmodern era we live in not much is left with objective meaning anymore so the government for example can and will redefine words to suit themselves and their agenda.

its definatly a scary thought funny thing is this sort of thing was laughable at the time