Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

It's the beginning of Shark Week on TV.
Do you watch the shark movies offered?
What about Sharknado?
Jaws?
Have you ever caught a shark while fishing?
Afraid of the ocean?

Reactions: garnetsilver
Jaws is bit outdated compared to the special effects now but it's a classic and scared people over here back in the day when beach culture was everything in Sydney. I used to swim every afternoon after work at an unpatrolled beach until I saw fishermen pull two huge Bull sharks out of the exact spot. I don't swim in the ocean anymore. I remember surfing when the shark alarm apparently went off that my mate and I didn't hear. We were on the news that night filmed from a helicopter with 30 to 40 Hammerhead sharks swimming under us :eek: .

Jaws is bit outdated compared to the special effects now but it's a classic and scared people over here back in the day when beach culture was everything in Sydney. I used to swim every afternoon after work at an unpatrolled beach until I saw fishermen pull two huge Bull sharks out of the exact spot. I don't swim in the ocean anymore. I remember surfing when the shark alarm apparently went off that my mate and I didn't hear. We were on the news that night filmed from a helicopter with 30 to 40 Hammerhead sharks swimming under us :eek: .
OMG! Now there's a story to scare you!

My son lives in Florida and for years he's refused to go into the water due to witnessing a shark attack. He'll go in a boat, but swimming is off the table.

And I shall admit...I do find the Sharknado movies hilarious.

OMG! Now there's a story to scare you!

My son lives in Florida and for years he's refused to go into the water due to witnessing a shark attack. He'll go in a boat, but swimming is off the table.

And I shall admit...I do find the Sharknado movies hilarious.
I don't blame your son, that would have been horrifying. When you think about it it's crazy to go into the ocean and risk life and limb just to cool off, there is always a chance and it would be a terrible way to go. Up North they also have crocs and killer jellyfish so swimming is out of the question. I like the Sharknado movies also, a bit far fetched but we are just fish food to the sharks. Awesome creatures and they can keep the beach, lol.

Reactions: Paulm

It's the beginning of Shark Week on TV.
Do you watch the shark movies offered?
What about Sharknado?
Jaws?
Have you ever caught a shark while fishing?
Afraid of the ocean?

Yes. After proving to my friend that it is entirely possible to catch a fish using only a Dr. Pepper bottle, I went back to rod and reel and caught about a 2 foot sand shark from the pier in Panama City Beach, Fla. Not intentionally of course. This would have been early 90's in my early 20's. Their skin is tough, like armor. I let a few kids touch it then tossed it 15 ' back into the water.
I dont have much fear at all. I dont fear Lions, tigers, T-rex's. But being in dark water at night is pretty scary.
Oh, One of my X Girlfriends first thing in the morning was kinda terrifying as well.... ;bg3

Oz you are a surfer. That is amazing! That is something I have always imagined to be very difficult.

i rarely watch the shark week stuff. jaws was a great movie and still is. it has stood the test of time very well. i love the ocean and living on the coast. ive moved away several times but always end back up on the sand...or close enough to visit regularly... been diving in the carribean and in the bahamas, saw barracuda, sharks, all kinds of fish...love it. was in the gulf once and my wife told me to stop kicking her float, i was 30 feet away...lol...looked down and a three foot shark was swimming between us...checking her float out i guess...lol.. we were in water about 15 to 20 feet deep so just told her to stay calm and move back in a little bit... afterwards she kinda freaked out....lol

i rarely watch the shark week stuff. jaws was a great movie and still is. it has stood the test of time very well. i love the ocean and living on the coast. ive moved away several times but always end back up on the sand...or close enough to visit regularly... been diving in the carribean and in the bahamas, saw barracuda, sharks, all kinds of fish...love it. was in the gulf once and my wife told me to stop kicking her float, i was 30 feet away...lol...looked down and a three foot shark was swimming between us...checking her float out i guess...lol.. we were in water about 15 to 20 feet deep so just told her to stay calm and move back in a little bit... afterwards she kinda freaked out....lol
That would have been terrifying, glad that ended well. Sounds like a good life though.

Oz you are a surfer. That is amazing! That is something I have always imagined to be very difficult.
I used to be but because I grew up in the inner west of Sydney we were Westies to the coastal surfers. Surfers were called Waxheads. There were Westies, Petrol heads, Waxheads and Bikies. Forgot about Yuppies from the affluent suburbs. Petrol heads were also called Sharpies due to the shaved mullet haircuts. It was a very complicated social structure, lol.