Re-attached Mice heads

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
'Head transplant' surgeon reveals progress - Unexplained Mysteries

Italian neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero has managed to sever and reconnect the spinal cords of nine mice.
It might sound like something taken straight from the pages of a Mary Shelley novel and that's because, for the most part, it is. The idea of removing someone's head and then attaching it to another body is perhaps the most audacious surgical procedure ever conceived.

According to Italian surgeon Dr Sergio Canavero however, undertaking a head transplant on a live human patient is not only possible, but demonstrably achievable before the end of this year.

Now the controversial surgeon has shown that he really does mean business by severing the spinal cords of mine mice and then successfully reconnecting them using a special 'glue' solution.

Critics had long claimed that achieving even this would be impossible, but now that Dr Canavaro has actually demonstrated that it can be done he believes his plan to perform the world's first human head transplant is still very much on the cards.

He now intends to repeat the spinal cord reconnection procedure on dogs in the coming months.

The idea of attempting such a thing on a human however has been met with universal criticism.

"I would not wish this on anyone," said Dr Hunt Batjer of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons. "I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death."
- See more at: 'Head transplant' surgeon reveals progress - Unexplained Mysteries

Reconnected with a special glue. Glue.

I would ask for duct tape. Glue doesn't make me feel safe.
It's not glue. It's some liquid that causes tissue to bond to itself. Concentrated vitamin e can do that to fresh cuts to some extent

It's not glue. It's some liquid that causes tissue to bond to itself. Concentrated vitamin e can do that to fresh cuts to some extent
Yup...it's glue, hon. It's used many times in surgical procedures now as well.

Cyanoacrylates are a family of strong fast-acting adhesives with industrial, medical, and household uses. Cyanoacrylate adhesives have a short shelf life if not used, about one year from manufacture if unopened, and one month once opened. They have some minor toxicity.

Cyanoacrylates include methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names such as "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue"), n-butyl cyanoacrylate and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (used in medical, veterinary and first aid applications). Octyl cyanoacrylate was developed to address toxicity concerns and to reduce skin irritation and allergic response. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known generically as instant glues, power glues or superglues (although "Super Glue" is a trade name).[1] The abbreviation "CA" is commonly used for industrial grades.

Reactions: Paintman
Yup...it's glue, hon. It's used many times in surgical procedures now as well.

Cyanoacrylates are a family of strong fast-acting adhesives with industrial, medical, and household uses. Cyanoacrylate adhesives have a short shelf life if not used, about one year from manufacture if unopened, and one month once opened. They have some minor toxicity.

Cyanoacrylates include methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names such as "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue"), n-butyl cyanoacrylate and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (used in medical, veterinary and first aid applications). Octyl cyanoacrylate was developed to address toxicity concerns and to reduce skin irritation and allergic response. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known generically as instant glues, power glues or superglues (although "Super Glue" is a trade name).[1] The abbreviation "CA" is commonly used for industrial grades.
thought that stuff was just for a replacement to stitching.
I read too much stuff then get names of things mixed up.:neutral: I should make a habit of backing up my comments with google. Or checking with the friendly neighbourhood medical professional :D