Popular Instagram app fools people in revealing their password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
http://now.msn.com/instlike-app-got-100000-instagram-users-to-give-up-passwords

If you were one of the 100,000 people who signed up for InstLike, the Instagram app with the lame name that promises free likes, it's time to change your password. Users downloaded the app for the free likes and followers that it guaranteed, but after downloading, the app asked for their Instagram username and password — a red flag right there — and made them part of a giant, scammy botnet that followed and liked other accounts randomly. At its highest point, the app was in the top 25 "utility apps" in the Apple store, and it was among the highest-grossing utility apps after it convinced users to pay for "coins" to get more likes and followers. Symantec security researcher Satnam Narang told Mashable that InstLike took an innovative approach to scamming users, which is why so many fell for it. So don't feel too bad. But definitely delete that app...(more at site)

http://now.msn.com/instlike-app-got-100000-instagram-users-to-give-up-passwords

If you were one of the 100,000 people who signed up for InstLike, the Instagram app with the lame name that promises free likes, it's time to change your password. Users downloaded the app for the free likes and followers that it guaranteed, but after downloading, the app asked for their Instagram username and password — a red flag right there — and made them part of a giant, scammy botnet that followed and liked other accounts randomly. At its highest point, the app was in the top 25 "utility apps" in the Apple store, and it was among the highest-grossing utility apps after it convinced users to pay for "coins" to get more likes and followers. Symantec security researcher Satnam Narang told Mashable that InstLike took an innovative approach to scamming users, which is why so many fell for it. So don't feel too bad. But definitely delete that app...(more at site)
I heard of that app. and I see that it's a good thing, a very good thing. Free likes for what? Where? Who needs free likes for gawds sake???

I certainly appreciate the "likes" I receive here, but "free likes," no. If I don't earn them I don't want them.

Reactions: Naked Apple
Status
Not open for further replies.