Pet material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/2807300/goats-a-thing-of-2015/?cs=1540

Looking to add another pet to your menagerie? Perhaps a goat is what you need! The miniatures are kind of cute! We had a few goats when I was growing up, but the main thing I remember about them is that they were smelly and had a bad attitude. They never struck me as pet material; however, people have been keeping pigs as pets for years now so I suppose a goat, especially a smaller one, isn't that far fetched.

How about you? Would you ever consider taking a goat home to make a pet of it?

Goats are cute and all....outside and for mowing your lawn! They really don't make great pets for the most part, at least that's what my friend who raises them says. She has the fainting goats, which are hilarious to watch! She can just go "Boo!" and they keel over.

I don't think I'd want to deal with one. I've raised a few sheep before, and they are time consuming. You have to get the feed just right or stomach issues abound. Goats are less touchy on the feed, but they are really not a "bonding" type of creature and are best left to the farm life, not pet life.

Reactions: surge
I would love a pet goat. I saw one being given away on Craigslist about 2 weeks ago and was tempted to ask if it was still available, except I have no where to keep it, except in the house. That probably wouldn't work out too well. I also don't know how to take care of one, or what to feed it, so again, not such a good idea. Maybe someday if I live on a farm.

Reactions: surge and Debi
I would love a pet goat. I saw one being given away on Craigslist about 2 weeks ago and was tempted to ask if it was still available, except I have no where to keep it, except in the house. That probably wouldn't work out too well. I also don't know how to take care of one, or what to feed it, so again, not such a good idea. Maybe someday if I live on a farm.
Honey, goats really don't work in a house environment. Besides, they can and do eat anything not nailed down! Maybe you need to go get you that pet spider! ;)

Reactions: Naked Apple
Goats are cute and all....outside and for mowing your lawn! They really don't make great pets for the most part, at least that's what my friend who raises them says. She has the fainting goats, which are hilarious to watch! She can just go "Boo!" and they keel over.

I don't think I'd want to deal with one. I've raised a few sheep before, and they are time consuming. You have to get the feed just right or stomach issues abound. Goats are less touchy on the feed, but they are really not a "bonding" type of creature and are best left to the farm life, not pet life.

Back by popular demand, the myotonic goats:

Maybe you could get a Bedlington Terrier, and have a dog that looks like a lamb?? Then you have kind of the best of both worlds...

images

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi and surge
Only keep a goat inside if you don't mind your wall boards being eaten! Debi is right, they will eat pretty much anything that isn't nailed down, and I swear I saw a goat once with a crow bar! I think the angriest I ever saw my dad was when the goats got out of the barn yard and consumed two rows of vegetables from the garden before anyone realized they were loose. In addition, they have no regard for the law!

the-world_s-top-10-best-images-of-climbing-goats-9.jpg

Last edited:
Only keep a goat inside if you don't mind your wall boards being eaten!
LOL. When one of my Whippets was a puppy, for some reason she started nibbling at the sheetrock too! She managed to get a nice little hole going before I noticed it. Still not sure why she did it, as they aren't destructive chewers normally.

Reactions: surge and Debi
I've had dogs eat entire couches. Two of them by one dog. Goats, however, will eat ANYTHING. And I think Surge is right....they carry crowbars to get to the stuff that IS nailed down!

No! They are worse than rabbits in a house...

Reactions: surge
Status
Not open for further replies.