One Way to Spend Your Retirement Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
I saw this article (link below) which got me thinking. Now in this example, the lady is living on a Crystal ship, which is a luxury line - not your Carnival, Princess, or Royal Caribbean level of cruising - so it is much more expensive. She is spending $164,000 per year, but on the other lines I listed, it would be more like $30,000 - $40,000 per year. So, let's say $3,000 to $3,500 per month to live on board. That's less than many people spend to live just in a house or apartment with mortgage/rent, utilities, food, etc.

Now, this includes your room, food, nightly entertainment including shows and dancing - everything you would get at a retirement facility and MORE! Retirement centers are not cheap, costing thousands of dollars per month. I know some are pretty nice, with activities to do, etc., but then that costs even more. I sort of see retirement centers as boring and depressing.

So, what do you think? Does this sound like a good way to retire and see the world? Would it get old fast? Would it be a great way to stay active and not just "exist" in a retirement home? What are your thoughts?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102352057?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity#.

Like I said, don't get sticker shock. Crystal Cruises are luxury cruises, and this way of retiring can cost a lot less than $164,000 per year!

Perfect way to escape if you have the finances as opposed to living in a retirement home, watching the occupants drop like flies wondering and possibly hoping that tomorrow will be your day to drop rather than vegetating a moment longer in the house of death ! Retirement homes are run for profit , not essentially for your needs , crystal cruise line naturally runs for profit and the difference being that they will cater to your needs and more , customer satisfaction is paramount . Retirement homes are " One foot in the grave , " as in the BBC sitcom .

Reactions: Seahunter
I worked for 12 years in a long-term care facility...i.e. Nursing Home. It was located on the 2nd floor of a hospital to top off the effect of "sick" and "old." Despite my efforts to make it a happy place and to make sure each resident got at least one hug a day, there are only so many Bingo games and sing-alongs one can take. I have told my children I'm not going to one. Period. Don't care if it floats and is luxurious or not. Hunger strike long enough and it's over.

Reactions: Seahunter
I worked for 12 years in a long-term care facility...i.e. Nursing Home. It was located on the 2nd floor of a hospital to top off the effect of "sick" and "old." Despite my efforts to make it a happy place and to make sure each resident got at least one hug a day, there are only so many Bingo games and sing-alongs one can take. I have told my children I'm not going to one. Period. Don't care if it floats and is luxurious or not. Hunger strike long enough and it's over.
That's kind of where I was going... Don't want to end up playing bingo and watching Matlock and Murder She Wrote re-runs all day. But, seeing new ports every week, now that doesn't sound too bad! At least it would be staying active, and keep your mind active.

Reactions: sal
One advantage to the cruise ship is captive audience between ports , casual encounters ensue if you are lucky . Who knows, you may meet a Nekki doppleganger who will not only perform a backward inside out upside down reverse cowgirl :rolleyes: I once read a bumper sticker which probably sums up everything " If you are going to ride my ass .....at least pull my hair . " :oops:

I tried to keep it a bit more active than that for the residents. lol I had them going places, doing things, etc. But I was the exception for Activity Directors rather than the rule. Got in trouble sometimes for it, too. Ran Poker games, etc. and sometimes the Admin. wasn't happy about that. BUT, the most important thing was touch for my residents. You'd be amazed how much that gets missed for the elderly. One of the most asked for things was to be hugged, because they have no one to just hold them many times. Better than meds.

One advantage to the cruise ship is captive audience between ports , casual encounters ensue if you are lucky . Who knows, you may meet a Nekki doppleganger who will not only perform a backward inside out upside down reverse cowgirl :rolleyes: I once read a bumper sticker which probably sums up everything " If you are going to ride my ass .....at least pull my hair . " :oops:
Yeah, there is THAT, too! lol Usually, the only one's complaining about that kind of encounter are the kids of the adults involved!

Reactions: Speedbird

images
images

I tried to keep it a bit more active than that for the residents. lol I had them going places, doing things, etc. But I was the exception for Activity Directors rather than the rule. Got in trouble sometimes for it, too. Ran Poker games, etc. and sometimes the Admin. wasn't happy about that. BUT, the most important thing was touch for my residents. You'd be amazed how much that gets missed for the elderly. One of the most asked for things was to be hugged, because they have no one to just hold them many times. Better than meds.
I think Dog took it just a little farther than a "hug"! :p

I think Dog took it just a little farther than a "hug"! :p
LOL! I had two short little guys who always attempted to "snuggle" a bit during my hugs! Their head used to hit right about where my "pillows" were! I'd let them stay there juuuust long enough and pull back before the drool started. ;) I figured no harm, no foul.

Reactions: surge and Seahunter
Status
Not open for further replies.