Mystery Tree Damage

I googled banana trees and the trees in multiple photos look pretty much like those in the C2C photo.
Here's one photo at random from a Thai conservation site.
banana-tree-hero-1024x683.jpg

Hopefully a botanist who is not scared to check the trees out will examine them.

My first thought is that it could be a human culprit. Someone with a sharp machete or sharp blade could do this damage. If it wasn't a human than I have no idea. I think BF or Dog man would have taken the bananas. Duke and Crux, good sleuthing.

In one of the comments it mentions an invasive insect. I'd lean more towards that, but doubtful an insect could do that much damage overnight. Not sure about everywhere else, but the amount of trees dying here in NJ sure raises a brow. The Derecho caused many trees to come down. We chalked it up to being weakened before and after the 'bomb' storm. Years later trees are still falling down. This is a premature assumption, but hope this isn't a prelude to a major disaster that can't be reversed.

In one of the comments it mentions an invasive insect. I'd lean more towards that, but doubtful an insect could do that much damage overnight. Not sure about everywhere else, but the amount of trees dying here in NJ sure raises a brow. The Derecho caused many trees to come down. We chalked it up to being weakened before and after the 'bomb' storm. Years later trees are still falling down. This is a premature assumption, but hope this isn't a prelude to a major disaster that can't be reversed.
We have had a couple invasive species of insects here in MI and have lost not only the beautiful Elm tree but now our evergreens are being eaten by some worm. My dad lost acres of Christmas trees on his land over the last 20 years. I lost the three in my own yard and had to have them removed. It is a sad thing for sure, and alarming.

We have had a couple invasive species of insects here in MI and have lost not only the beautiful Elm tree but now our evergreens are being eaten by some worm. My dad lost acres of Christmas trees on his land over the last 20 years. I lost the three in my own yard and had to have them removed. It is a sad thing for sure, and alarming.
We lost better than 20 mature ash trees to the emerald ash borer.
AR-EAB-wanted-poster-683x1024.jpg

It is a sad thing for sure, and alarming.
Totally agreed. It is alarming to see this many trees dropping from over-saturated ground, rising water tables, poor root systems, invasive insects, did i mention people? I'm sure people play a part in all of this somewhere in the spectrum.