Technology Marines train with robotic dogs

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/286343/us-marines-start-training-with-robotic-dog

news-dog-soldiers.jpg

Boston Dynamics' all-terrain four-legged robot has been joining US marines on their training exercises.
The dog-like robot, which was originally developed alongside several other models by the Google-owned technology company Boston Dynamics, is now being tested out by marines in Quantico, Virginia in the hope that it can be used as a support platform for military operations.

"Spot is great and has exceeded the metrics that we've provided," said Cpt James Pineiro, head of the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab. "We see it as a great potential for the future dismounted infantry."

"We want to continue to experiment with quadruped technology and find ways that this can be employed to enhance the Marine Corps war-fighting capabilities."

The robotic dog is particularly adept at crossing uneven terrain and could help to save lives by entering potentially unsafe environments ahead of the soldiers during a military engagement.

It's also possible that some of DARPA's other recent inventions, including a walking humanoid robot called Atlas, could go on to see use on the battlefield in the not-too-distant future.

I somehow think the "bond" between human and "dog" will be missing here......

Reactions: 7Critter
I somehow think the "bond" between human and "dog" will be missing here......
Not to mention no head, no wagging tail. Actually this is pretty cool technology. Can you imagine being out in the country, walking and a troop of these robots comes towards you ? First you hear them, turn your head, and then see them.

Not to mention no head, no wagging tail. Actually this is pretty cool technology. Can you imagine being out in the country, walking and a troop of these robots comes towards you ? First you hear them, turn your head, and then see them.
Yeah...NO! I want waggy tails and heads on my puppies!

There is that.....

But you know, when we send robots out to do war for us, we take the pain out of war. We make it a "game" with innocents caught in the middle.
And that is one of the reasons I don't care for drones for the most part ,but if you think about it, a dog is no different than a robot in that they do what they are told (trained) to do .Taking the place of a human ,and i'm sure our government cares no more about the death of that dog, than they do for the destruction of their robot. That is why I say take the dog out of the equation .I don't believe that these robots can do all the things a dog can do though .(But I really dont think they should use either one )

Reactions: Debi
There is that.....

But you know, when we send robots out to do war for us, we take the pain out of war. We make it a "game" with innocents caught in the middle.
Debi,
This is an excellent point...
We have almost reached a state of capability close to the Star Trek episode depicting computer based warfare on a planet.....like a game...except when your area was hit in the game ...it was the civilized thing to " report" to the disintegration machine....this kept warfare civilized..
What was Kirk's solution ??
Destroy the computer...(after generations of use)
This allowed the opposing people to "get personal and dirty face to face" if they really wanted war.....
MAYBE we need to return to swords, clubs and hand to hand combat.....
Thoughts ?

The new " Devil Dog"

Reactions: Debi
Debi,
This is an excellent point...
We have almost reached a state of capability close to the Star Trek episode depicting computer based warfare on a planet.....like a game...except when your area was hit in the game ...it was the civilized thing to " report" to the disintegration machine....this kept warfare civilized..
What was Kirk's solution ??
Destroy the computer...(after generations of use)
This allowed the opposing people to "get personal and dirty face to face" if they really wanted war.....
MAYBE we need to return to swords, clubs and hand to hand combat.....
Thoughts ?
I remember the episode well, and it's basically what I refer to.

Reactions: curandero81