Looking for Advice

D0811

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, from the UK.

Decided to find a forum for all things paranormal as me and my partner have thought our house may have a spirit here for a while as we sometimes hear footsteps in the hallway, but it doesn’t bother either of us.

She was on her own for a couple of nights and heard the footsteps go towards the bedroom and the bed felt as if someone had sat next to her.

Since then we have experienced the bathroom tap randomly turn on a few times, and I mean completely on as if it were on to wash your hands, and the other night as I went into the kitchen the kettle began boiling, I have heard that it can happen if there’s no water in the kettle but it was half full (or half empty).

Been doing some research and have been watching a couple of guys on Tik Tok called ‘GTI’ who go out to haunted places, and even to some peoples homes using all sorts of devices and they’re really good. Heard there’s some apps out there which may help but I am cautious how an app can really help, they’re all coded, surely? But if there are any that some use then I’d be tempted to try them out.

Thanks.

P.S. Have noticed a lot of you are from across the pond so enjoy Super Bowl tonight, my partner is a fan of it but it’s never been my thing! Hope to speak to a few of you soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi D0 and welcome to the forum. Although I don't claim to be a paranormal investigator, I do help a friend and colleague who is a respected investigator in my area. As a fund raiser for a local charity, we regularly lead groups through investigations at a local rural park that was once a pioneer settlement. We've gotten some interesting EVPs there.

I've heard him asked the "what's a good paranormal app?" question many times, and his answer is always the same....the free ones. He says he's never found an app worth paying for, but says if it's free and you are willing to assume the risks associated with downloading any app, give those a try. I think most claim only to measure EMF, which if nothing else might alert you to some high EMF source in the house.

You might consider researching if there is a credible paranormal investigation group in your area to assist you. Most such groups, in the US at least, do not charge to conduct investigations. Be wary of anyone who wants to charge you. Also, I would recommend a clear meeting of the minds between you and any investigators before having them in your home as to what they can and cannot do with any video/photos/recordings/data obtained in their investigation. Many will want to share their investigations/finding on social media. If you are not OK with that, make sure the investigators know that upfront.

I'm moving this post to our "Your Paranormal Experiences" thread where it is more likely to be seen and commented on by our members who are most qualified to offer advice.

Good Luck.

Hi D0 and welcome to the forum. Although I don't claim to be a paranormal investigator, I do help a friend and colleague who is a respected investigator in my area. As a fund raiser for a local charity, we regularly lead groups through investigations at a local rural park that was once a pioneer settlement. We've gotten some interesting EVPs there.

I've heard him asked the "what's a good paranormal app?" question many times, and his answer is always the same....the free ones. He says he's never found an app worth paying for, but says if it's free and you are willing to assume the risks associated with downloading any app, give those a try. I think most claim only to measure EMF, which if nothing else might alert you to some high EMF source in the house.

You might consider researching if there is a credible paranormal investigation group in your area to assist you. Most such groups, in the US at least, do not charge to conduct investigations. Be wary of anyone who wants to charge you. Also, I would recommend a clear meeting of the minds between you and any investigators before having them in your home as to what they can and cannot do with any video/photos/recordings/data obtained in their investigation. Many will want to share their investigations/finding on social media. If you are not OK with that, make sure the investigators know that upfront.

I'm moving this post to our "Your Paranormal Experiences" thread where it is more likely to be seen and commented on by our members who are into such things.

Good Luck.
Thanks Duke! Some great advice which I will take on board. My plan was to focus on EMF for now and see what happens from there. I am wary of ‘upsetting’ anything. At the moment what is going on is fine, however it is becoming more frequent. Will update here if/when anything else comes up!

Right before bed, one of our mobile phones was completely out of battery, I was using it as it died. Now, next to me on the arm of the sofa it randomly turned back on with 2% battery. Could be explained due to a dodgy battery perhaps, but can’t say it’s happened before, suddenly went very cold next to me too.
Phone then died again a minute or so later without being used.

Maybe even a software update perhaps? But nothing updated so unsure. I do always try to find a reason in this world why something happened first.

At the moment what is going on is fine, however it is becoming more frequent.
Welcome to the PNF, D! It's good to see another neighbor from across the pond join the group. I lived in a house with the footsteps. I didn't have much else happen other than feeling someone watching me. I was at the age where i spent more time at my girlfriend's place, so my mother was more alone there. She began hearing the footsteps more often and eventually had someone touching her face during the night. Sometimes these things will escalate if left unchecked. She made it very clear to the 'spirit(s)' to leave her home and that it was no longer theirs. Two people did die in that home, so we always chalked it up to one or both remaining. Now, years into experiencing the paranormal, i find if there is a trapped spirit, i want to help them move on. Whatever reason(s) a soul becomes trapped, i feel the more interaction with them, the longer they will remain. I don't see that as fair anymore and they should move onto what is beyond the proverbial veil. There are also 'other things' lurking about. Those, do not converse with at all and make it very clear to leave immediately. There is also the possibility of portals that allow multiple entities or lost souls to enter a location. Those need to be handled by a professional since an 'open door' allows access continuously.

Welcome D0!

It's a bit unsettling to have such activity without an otherwise rational explanation. The important thing to remember is that if there is a sprit of someone present, it's just a person and not necessarily something to fear. I would also encourage you to talk with your partner and make sure you are in agreement about what should be done. I have heard of cases where one person is wanting the activity to stop, telling whatever it is to leave; while another person is encouraging activity and wants to see more of whatever is in the house.

As far as phone apps, I lean more towards audioand video recording to collect information. You could also have something like this setup to record while you are asleep or away from home. The EMF detecting capabilities of a phone are fairly limited. The hardware in a smartphone is designed to pick up the magnetic field that tells it which way is North for its compass and map navigation apps, which is different from the kind of EMF and actual EMF meter is designed to detect and measure.

Right before bed, one of our mobile phones was completely out of battery, I was using it as it died. Now, next to me on the arm of the sofa it randomly turned back on with 2% battery. Could be explained due to a dodgy battery perhaps, but can’t say it’s happened before, suddenly went very cold next to me too.
Phone then died again a minute or so later without being used.

Maybe even a software update perhaps? But nothing updated so unsure. I do always try to find a reason in this world why something happened first.
phone batteries (and other device batteries) will seldom be competely drained even though the device turns off, it helps protect the battery to keep a low charge....... (think the low gas light on a car. even though it shows empty you still have an 1/8 of a gallon or so) sometimes the phone goes into battery saver mode and powers back on before turning back off again.... not saying that is what happened but a possibility and natural explanation.

As a long time electronic tech, Paulm is correct. I've seen Many electronic devices do things they shouldn't and has nothing to do with paranormal. However I have also seen the other side of that coin.
Preparation is important when documenting. Pen and note pad to record date/time of event. Audio recording/ video and or picture...(if possible). I wouldn't recommend communication as it will increase activity if a legit haunt.

Welcome to the fourm, I am a bit late to the discussion, but I will throw in my two cents. I can totally get the curiosity of investigating the unknown and paranormal, but in your own living space it can take on a whole new meaning. When you acknowledge and communicate with these things, activities tend to go up in frequency and size. We really don't know what is causing activity, we assume it's the spirits of the dead, but we really don't know. All we have to go on is the repeated results of past experiments and investigations. If you want to get rid of whatever may be in your house, I would make your intentions clear, such as telling them to get out and then leave it alone if possible. Keep your intentions brief and non-interactive. If you investigate in your own place, you could be making your living conditions scary and uncomfortable. I have personal experience with living in such conditions and trust me it was no fun. If your interests in this type of thing is high, then go to an off-site location, maybe hook up with a ghost hunting group. I would keep it out of your own house unless you have no other alternative.