Judging by the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
An album cover, that is. Have you ever bought an album (which for these purposes includes CDs, digital downloads and any other format you can think of) based on nothing more than the artwork on the cover? If you have, what was it and was the music actually good?

I have bought a few albums over the years based only on artwork, but the first one that I can remember was Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. I was looking through the record section in a department store in the town I grew up in, and I spotted Bat Out of Hell. The artwork was amazing, and I just knew the music was going to be the hardest rocking stuff ever recorded, with plenty of thumping bass and guitar licks handed down from the gods of rock themselves. Boy, was I wrong!! Okay, there are some good tracks on there, but the music is completely different than I anticipated. Still, I put it in the win column. There are some I've bought off the artwork and wished I could throw them back!

330px-Bat_out_of_Hell.jpg

I used to go totally by the music....and then I wandered into the "New Age" section and "Celtic" covers and mistakes have been made judging by the cover art! lol I'm picky about my music, and if it doesn't move my soul and make me "feel" something, I won't play it again! I have learned to rely on recommendations from others and now download only. I've had the pleasure of finding some great new music recently, thanks to some people who happen to hang out around here on the forum.

An album cover, that is. Have you ever bought an album (which for these purposes includes CDs, digital downloads and any other format you can think of) based on nothing more than the artwork on the cover? If you have, what was it and was the music actually good?
Yes. I used to listen to industrial music and darkwave. You can pretty much tell the band's music from their cover art. Was it good? It depends on the band. Some bands I liked better than others even though they were in the same musical genre.

I've had the pleasure of finding some great new music recently, thanks to some people who happen to hang out around here on the forum.

I could make some music recommendations, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like any of them. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.