Open Lines Judge orders marriage

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/us/texas-judge-marriage-sentence/index.html

A Texas man who pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge of punching his girlfriend's ex was given a choice between marrying her or going to jail for the crime.

Josten Bundy, 21, pleaded guilty on July 2 to assault with bodily injury, stemming from a brawl he had with the former boyfriend of Elizabeth Jaynes back in February.

Smith County Judge Randall Rogers then gave him a choice between two years of probation or 15 days in jail, according to Jaynes, 19.

The probation terms included requiring Bundy to write out a Bible verse 25 times a day ("If a man digs a pit, he will fall into it." -- Proverbs 26:27), and getting married within 30 days.

"We figured he'd get probation but were surprised about the other conditions, especially the marriage," Jaynes told CNN on Friday.

"Then the the judge asked Josten if I was worth it and if we were living together, and we both said 'yes.' When the judge said part of the probation was that we had to get married Josten smiled at me and I was turning red. The judge said, 'You might want to check with her first.' Josten said that because my face was red he thought I was OK with it, but then the judge made me stand up and asked me if I was OK with it. I said yes. People were laughing behind me and the bailiff had to say 'order in the court.' It was embarrassing."

Jaynes said she told her parents about what happened in court and her father was very angry. He told them they didn't have to go through with it but they did, getting married at City Hall on July 20.

"I was really upset. Judge Rogers stepped into my family and tried to tell them what to do without any regard for me or anything. This isn't his decision," Elizabeth's father, Kenneth Jaynes, told CNN.

"I told them they didn't have to do this, but they were afraid. They are young and they didn't know that they had any other options," he said.

Judge was out of line on this one. If there were already problems in the relationship, pushing marriage was NOT the thing to do!

Reactions: surge
Ok, well I would agree that the Judge was out of line, but they did say yes, so I guess if they want to make a go of it, why not? I guess they can have the same Judge annul the marriage if things don't work out. Maybe they think they only have to be married for 2 years (probation) lol

Reactions: Debi
I just feel bad for the woman.....she got "sentenced" too! lol

Reactions: surge
The judge was out of line on this one for sure,but the whole two guys fighting over one woman thing probably could have been avoided all together if the woman had made her intentions clear to both men. It's not you,it's me is not the proper way to end a relationship .He must know that it wont work now, it wont work tomorrow ,or ever so move on. At that point there is nothing to fight for ,but then again when it comes to love all bets are off.

Reactions: surge and Debi
The judge was out of line on this one for sure,but the whole two guys fighting over one woman thing probably could have been avoided all together if the woman had made her intentions clear to both men. It's not you,it's me is not the proper way to end a relationship .He must know that it wont work now, it wont work tomorrow ,or ever so move on. At that point there is nothing to fight for ,but then again when it comes to love all bets are off.
Good observation on that, Grinch.

I hope I raise my children good enough to know there is no option in this situation. Take your punishment and move on buddy. Can't believe they're actually getting married. I fear for our youth. Ugh.

wait, we are all on the same page that he hit her ex, not her. Judge was probably having fun as it was a misdemeanor. I don't see a problem with him smacking around her ex. I have defended my wifes honor before, that guy probably still drools a little when he talks......

Reactions: surge and Debi
wait, we are all on the same page that he hit her ex, not her. Judge was probably having fun as it was a misdemeanor. I don't see a problem with him smacking around her ex. I have defended my wifes honor before, that guy probably still drools a little when he talks......
I GET that, sal, but sheesh! It's kind of a shotgun style thing there, don't ya think???

Reactions: sal