It's on the "watch" list...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
What's on your list this holiday season?
Got a favorite you can't miss?
1701141562244.png

I like Die Hard, and it takes place during Christmas. Other faves are It's a wonderful life, How the Grinch stole Christmas, Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, The Snowman, and A Christmas Story.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
I find it interesting that Die Hard is considered a "Christmas Movie" rather than a movie that happens to take place during Christmas. I don't really hear people trying to attach the "Christmas Movie" label to films like Lethal Weapon, Trading Places, Batman Returns or Gremlins despite the fact that these movies all take place during Christmas. By contrast everyone accepts the It's a Wonderful Life is undoubtedly a Christmas Movie but most of the movie is flashbacks through George's life to show things that didn't happen during Christmas.

I find it interesting that Die Hard is considered a "Christmas Movie" rather than a movie that happens to take place during Christmas. I don't really hear people trying to attach the "Christmas Movie" label to films like Lethal Weapon, Trading Places, Batman Returns or Gremlins despite the fact that these movies all take place during Christmas. By contrast everyone accepts the It's a Wonderful Life is undoubtedly a Christmas Movie but most of the movie is flashbacks through George's life to show things that didn't happen during Christmas.
Good point, maybe it has just become a cult fav to watch over the holiday.

My Mom's favorite Christmas story was Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol and that's the movie she wanted to watch each year. Now I can already hear someone saying "Okay Stevedog, but which version, there's lots of Christmas Carol movies". Well I'm pretty sure she watched all of them. My Mom had a collection of A Christmas Carol movies, at least 20+ of them, on VHS and DVD. Some I knew about staring people like Albert Finney, George C Scott, Henry Winkler and Patrick Stewart. But there were other versions that I think might have been Made for TV movies, one called Ms Scrooge with a female lead, another starring Robert Guillaume as the greedy inner city slumlord who get visited by 3 ghosts, another with (I think) Tori Spelling as female Scrooge. Then there were the movies that had been meant as quirky off beat versions of the classic tale like Bill Murray's Scrooged, the Muppets Christmas Carol, Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol and the one episode of the 80's Ghostbusters cartoon where they go back in time and "save" Scrooge by capturing the 3 ghosts before they can teach Scrooge his lesson and it ruins Christmas when they return home. She also liked the more recent The Man Who Invented Christmas which is a movie about Charles Dickens coming up with the ideas to write A Christmas Carol.

I'm pretty sure she was able to watch a different Scrooge movie each night from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

My Mom's favorite Christmas story was Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol and that's the movie she wanted to watch each year. Now I can already hear someone saying "Okay Stevedog, but which version, there's lots of Christmas Carol movies". Well I'm pretty sure she watched all of them. My Mom had a collection of A Christmas Carol movies, at least 20+ of them, on VHS and DVD. Some I knew about staring people like Albert Finney, George C Scott, Henry Winkler and Patrick Stewart. But there were other versions that I think might have been Made for TV movies, one called Ms Scrooge with a female lead, another starring Robert Guillaume as the greedy inner city slumlord who get visited by 3 ghosts, another with (I think) Tori Spelling as female Scrooge. Then there were the movies that had been meant as quirky off beat versions of the classic tale like Bill Murray's Scrooged, the Muppets Christmas Carol, Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol and the one episode of the 80's Ghostbusters cartoon where they go back in time and "save" Scrooge by capturing the 3 ghosts before they can teach Scrooge his lesson and it ruins Christmas when they return home. She also liked the more recent The Man Who Invented Christmas which is a movie about Charles Dickens coming up with the ideas to write A Christmas Carol.

I'm pretty sure she was able to watch a different Scrooge movie each night from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
She knew what she liked; I like that.

My favorite versions of A Christmas Carol was the 1951 version, Scrooged, and one with Vanessa Williams, called A Diva's Christmas Carol.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
If it was up to my hubs, we'd watch every Christmas movie made for a month. As it is, I will watch Christmas Story, Rudolph, Grinch, White Christmas, and perhaps one or two others.

I love White Christmas! It is hard to get through a list because I always want to add more.

Reactions: Lynne