It's for the birds!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

DO YOU FEED THE BIRDS?

AFTER TALKING TODAY WITH Paulm ON LIVE CHAT, THIS TOPIC CAME UP. PRETTY SURE HE FEEDS A FOREST OF CRITTERS AND SOME FUNNY STORIES CAME UP ABOUT HOW MANY ANIMALS "FEED" FROM THOSE BIRD FEEDERS!
WHAT KIND OF BIRDS HAVE YOU SEEN IN YOUR AREA, AND HAS ANYONE COME UP WITH A WAY TO KEEP THOSE SQUIRRELS OUT OF THE FEEDERS?

SHARE YOUR BIRD FEEDING STORIES!
2018-03-12C-240x331.gif

Oh I love feeding the birds. I do not chase off any that come to eat. I’m sure there are a host of night visitors. I leave some on the ground and my feeders are rarely bothered.

Since I accidentally killed a bunch of squirrels about 15 years ago I figure I owe them. I am working off my squirrel karma.
I still have the one squirrel out there that throws things at the dogs!

I priced sunflower seed today just to see how much and wow! Has THAT gone up!

If you decide to feed peanuts , it’s cheeper to buy the roasted ones for people. The raw ones are super expensive and three times the price. I looked it up and the ones we eat are just fine and the shells are easier for them to break. I get a bag or two at the TSC and the blue jays love them.

We put out a large scoop of whole kernel corn every evening. It's meant for the deer, but the squirrels and birds (usually blue jays and starlings) nab their share.

My Dad put up an expensive, prefab bird feeder years ago, but the squirrels kept raiding and damaging it. He came up with a clever solution, he spread a coating of thick aircraft maintenance grease over the entire length of the pole. It was like watching a cartoon, the squirrels leaping onto the pole, then sliding down slowly, clawing all the way down. The funniest part was watching the squirrels rolling around and scooting across the grass trying to get the grease off them.