Is the moon really hollow - and who put it there?

The moon does as well, but because it lacks a liquid molten iron core. It's cooled pretty much all the way through and carries accoustic waves (of very long wavelength) much better than say, the earth, with it's molten core.

I get it Lynne, and I'm sorry, everyone. Won't happen again.

Could it potentially be because when the moon's core cooled, and as with magma and the way it shrinks as it cools, its whole core shrank in size and moved away from the mantle? Maybe in some way, this also explains why the moon has no rotation around its axis and is in its current tidal lock orbit with Earth, as well as the lunar inclination issue.

We know that magma cools from the inside out, and as such, the centre cools much faster than the outer 'skin'. This means there is a lot of shrinkage seen in lava cooling (lava being magma outside of any magma tube) and accounts for the deep cracks and fissures found in Igneous rock formations.

With nothing (that we are aware of) to fill in the space caused by this transfer of state of matter (liquid to solid) as the Igneous rocks form, is it not possible that there has formed a hollow, albeit probably more of a honeycomb effect, between the core and mantle of the moon? This is sound scientific reasoning and hypothetically, could be replicated as a scientific experiment.

Yes, I am fully aware of planetary acoustic resonance, but the recordings of seismic activity I am on about are when NASA dropped Apollo 12 onto the moon and the seismic recordings rang on for almost an hour. In 2008, NASA crashed LCROSS and its partner SMART-1 into the moon. The seismic 'ring' lasted almost 45 minutes. In 2019, an Israeli spaceship crashed on the moon and seismically 'rang' for almost 50 minutes. This is not the action expected of a solid planet and hence the hollow moon hypothesis by some leading scientists.

And on a final note, from my own point of view, no need to apologise. I love a bit of banter now and then and I am so thick-skinned, bullets bounce off me!

I learn so much from other people's views and opinions, and I do actually listen to their side of a friendly debate (not an argument, as this is something I never do as you can't really argue over something that just isn't scientific fact). But this is all it is - views and opinions. Most things on this forum are posted based on people's belief systems, or on things they have read about, studied on or just have an interest in. It's just engaging in a conversation or a topic that sparks the imagination........

Reactions: Lynne and Debi