Is being empathetic a bad thing when it comes to the paranormal?

But I do agree that I need to seek forms of meditation/relaxation and possibly shut down that empath side. I don’t believe it’s anything psychic or having Medium abilities. I just never experienced that in my life. Near the end of the tour, I kept feeling the urge to get out! Once I finally got out I felt relief but I was hit with a panic attack. I needed to stay away from the location.

But I do agree that I need to seek forms of meditation/relaxation and possibly shut down that empath side. I don’t believe it’s anything psychic or having Medium abilities. I just never experienced that in my life. Near the end of the tour, I kept feeling the urge to get out! Once I finally got out I felt relief but I was hit with a panic attack. I needed to stay away from the location.

ok. that is what I was wondering.... this sounds like it could be more psychic / medium abilities...or a combination. maybe someone else will come in and give their opinion / expertise on the subject, but at least this is a good starting point to determine what may be happening with you.

of course being on this type of tour, where everyone involved has a heightened sence of depression could also have triggered an empath response.....hmmm

Last edited:
Reactions: Janice89
I was taken to a haunted museum. I entered a room dedicated to Dr. Kevorkian with the supposed original vehicle that was recovered. Mind you, I was nervous and anxious being at the museum already. But when I came into the room, I stared at the van and suddenly I didn’t feel anxious. I felt very very sad. I knew these weren’t my emotions. I kept my composure until I left the room and I broke down into tears. I had no idea why I was crying or why I felt that way.
OK, whole nuther situation here now that I know the details. Zak Bagins place?

The energy left behind embedded into that van is off the charts. The van itself was used to take lives, and most of those who were a part of that did so because they were at end of life situations, in extreme pain, and most likely extremely sad to have it end in such a way. Even those without any psychic gifts at all can be affected by that much emotional energy when near it.

You most likely were picking up on that energy wave, with no idea what was hitting you. I've seen this happen to people with no knowledge of the paranormal and even in nonparanormal settings where the energy is just so thick it is overwhelming.

You most likely were picking up on that energy wave, with no idea what was hitting you. I've seen this happen to people with no knowledge of the paranormal and even in nonparanormal settings where the energy is just so thick it is overwhelming.

not trying to hi-jack or de-rail the thread in any way, but, Debi, do you think that a situation like this can cause someone to be able to build off this occurance.... kinda like once the door is opened scenario, or do you think this is just a one shot deal type thing?????

I've done that too. I bet there was very strong vibes from that van from his sadness. I think I've had that happen too. I always wondered what it meant too. But you are doing empathy there. Just wanted to share that.

not trying to hi-jack or de-rail the thread in any way, but, Debi, do you think that a situation like this can cause someone to be able to build off this occurance.... kinda like once the door is opened scenario, or do you think this is just a one shot deal type thing?????
Honestly, I've seen some people open up...like a doorway has been thrown open. And others who have simply walked away without ever having another event happen. My guess is that it's up to the person involved. If they actively pursue learning more and trying to reach out psychicly, I believe anyone can learn the skill. Some may do it better than others. I liken it to playing piano. You can teach me to play it. I can make music. But I'll never play it as well as a concert pianist with a natural talent for it. If someone has a natural gift, it comes much easier.

In the Eastern Orthodox Church they call this the Gift of Tears.
well the shoe fits lol. Usually empaths can be a lot more receptive to the negative than the positive.

First, welcome to the PNF J89.

I'm with Ronin and several other posts on this issue. Being an empath (I've been empathic for about 40 years) is not a bad thing. The one thing you have to resign yourself to as an empath is, unless you are willing to invest in some exercise(s) to control or block your ability to receive empathic info, you are likely to find yourself feeling more stressed and emotional than the typical person.

Meditation is one form mentioned already. If it hasn't been shared here yet, "shielding" is a second common technique - this is essentially a form of "protection". Though I like that word and call it as such, "protection" unfortunately comes with the connotation that you are under attack or you are a victim which is very often not the case. Think of shielding if you like instead as a form of "avoidance".

Reactions: Aces and Janice89
Janice, learning how to channel the energy out of you might also be an option. I'm not the most adept at moving energies - though I have certainly had my grapples with it more than once - yet being practiced at ridding yourself of foreign energies could not hurt.

In your original post, it sounds to me like you were able to recognize that the emotions were not your own. That is the best first step in understanding what it means to receive empathically. If you can recognize and isolate what you perceive as foreign, you might be able to "shake it off."

Reactions: Aces
First, welcome to the PNF J89.

I'm with Ronin and several other posts on this issue. Being an empath (I've been empathic for about 40 years) is not a bad thing. The one thing you have to resign yourself to as an empath is, unless you are willing to invest in some exercise(s) to control or block your ability to receive empathic info, you are likely to find yourself feeling more stressed and emotional than the typical person.

Meditation is one form mentioned already. If it hasn't been shared here yet, "shielding" is a second common technique - this is essentially a form of "protection". Though I like that word and call it as such, "protection" unfortunately comes with the connotation that you are under attack or you are a victim which is very often not the case. Think of shielding if you like instead as a form of "avoidance".
Protection?

Nice empathy you have there...shame if something were to happen to it.

/levity
//couldn't resist :)

Reactions: WitchAndShaman