In the kitchen

Mrs Duke has a thing about the handles of pots/pans/skillets extending out over the plane of the stove top. Handles must not extend over the edge of the stove. As a teen, she had a friend sustain horrific scalding burns to her legs after she knocked a pot of boiling hot soup off the stove top.
Same here. It was a RULE in our house to never have one over the edge. Grandma had seen too many people burned because of it and although she stood only 4'10", the woman was mighty with a wooden spoon should you forget that rule.

Also, I won't touch a pressure cooker. I've seen too many people burned and one killed from them exploding. Early in life I had one explode and put a new skylight in the roof. Luckily, no one was in the kitchen at the time.

Same here. It was a RULE in our house to never have one over the edge. Grandma had seen too many people burned because of it and although she stood only 4'10", the woman was mighty with a wooden spoon should you forget that rule.

Also, I won't touch a pressure cooker. I've seen too many people burned and one killed from them exploding. Early in life I had one explode and put a new skylight in the roof. Luckily, no one was in the kitchen at the time.
Do NOT have things over the edge or my grandma will rise from the grave and strike you down with great wrath. (After she's finished with me for the state of my home and various other things. But make no mistake she will come after you eventually!)

Keeping the handles all turned in on the stove is a big one for me. I don't personally know anyone who has been burned or suffered other injuries from this and I intend to keep that way.

Running out of a vital ingredient is a big one for me. This doesn't happen too often because I usually pull everything out ahead of time as part of my prep work. Ideally I have all ingredients at hand and all vegetables chopped and ready before I start the heat. But every now and then I find that one of my kids has used all of an ingredient and put back an empty container so when I try to use it there's nothing there. Also, my wife has a bizarre habit where she opens the milk, smells it, declares "Ugh! The milk has gone bad" then putting the cap back on it and putting it back in the fridge.

More often I run into not being able to find a specific cooking utensil because someone used it and it's hiding under other dishes in either the sink or it's in the dishwasher for the next 90 minutes. The worst part is that my family uses these utensils for random tasks where they could have used something else. For example, a few weeks ago I was looking for the Lemon Squeezer but couldn't find it because my wife had used it as a strainer earlier that day. Or the time some used my garlic press to stir their coffee because it was closer to the coffee pot than any of our spoons.

That was the frustrating part, they didn't even use the press part, they stirred their coffee with the handle.
I was once in a serious work meeting where the area manager was called in to mediate the escalating rage between my manager and her assistant manager (yours truly) over staff kitchen etiquette. That is exactly the kind of crap either one of us would pull!

She (the big boss) was just horrified. She said 'What kind of an example are you setting for the part-timers?'
It was like we were in a marriage guidance counselling session.

Last edited:
I have a small kitchen too, so I like to be alone when I am cooking or cleaning.

Reactions: Benway