Human speech by ape

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

An orangutan with the uncanny ability to mimic human speech may upend long-held scientific beliefs about the evolution of spoken language.

Residing in the Indianapolis Zoo, the remarkable ape named Rocky was able to recreate a vast array of verbal sounds when he heard them emanating from researchers.

Over the course of a two-month study, Rocky was able to imitate an incredible 500 vowel-like sounds that were unlike anything heard from orangutans in the wild.

The findings appear to smash previous scientific beliefs that great apes were incapable of learning new sounds and also unable to control the modulation of their voice.

As such, the possibility may exist that spoken language evolved from our simian ancestors rather than being developed by humans at a later time.

While Rocky hasn't said anything particularly intriguing just yet, we presume he's working out the logistics of forming the sentence, "please let me out of this cage."

Source: BBC News

Reactions: Lynne
I'm late to this discussion. Help me out. Is this about talking apes armed with talking squirrels ? Who are they fighting?

I'm late to this discussion. Help me out. Is this about talking apes armed with talking squirrels ? Who are they fighting?
I believe this goes apes talk, take over the world, form an army of armed squirrels to help battle the humans....got that??? :p

I believe this goes apes talk, take over the world, form an army of armed squirrels to help battle the humans....got that??? :p
Aha ! So, in the winter time when I'm feeding the squirrels, I could be charged with colaberating with the enemy. Shootski.:( Well, I guess I'm rooting for our gorilla overlords.:)

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Fighting the chickens....they came home to roost ! :p
The apes and squirrels are pondering over why the chicken crossed the road ! They haven't arrived at a conclusion yet !
So far no shots being fired , diplomacy is failing and the UN ( United Nyala ) have been ordered to the street as peacekeepers .

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
th
th