How to watch the ISS fly overhead

t-dub

Janitor and Pest Control
Reaction score
If you like the International Space Station and want to see it fly overhead here is how I do it. Go to:

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/index.cfm

and sign up for "Spot The Station" alerts. Spot The Station is available worldwide to anyone with an email account or SMS-enabled phone. Several times a week, Mission Control at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX, determines sighting opportunities for over 6,700 locations worldwide. If your specific city or town isn’t listed, pick one that is fairly close to you. The space station is visible for a long distance around each of the listed locations. A complete list of all possible space station sightings is available at Spot The Station’s location sightings pages. The alerts look like this:

screenshot_2015_08_01_at_20_14_58.jpg

Then you just need to go outside and look for something that looks like a really bright star, or planet, cruising across the sky really fast from the proper direction and elevation and that will be it. The station is about 258 miles up and orbits at about 17,000 miles per hour. Have fun! :)

Time is when the sighting opportunity will begin in your local time zone. All sightings will occur within a few hours before or after sunrise or sunset. This is the optimum viewing period as the sun reflects off the space station and contrasts against the darker sky.

Visible is the maximum time period the space station is visible before crossing back below the horizon.

Max Height is measured in degrees (also known as elevation). It represents the height of the space station from the horizon in the night sky. The horizon is at zero degrees, and directly overhead is ninety degrees. If you hold your fist at arm’s length and place your fist resting on the horizon, the top will be about 10 degrees.

Appears is the location in the sky where the station will be visible first. This value, like maximum height, also is measured in degrees from the horizon. The letters represent compass directions -- N is north, WNW is west by northwest, and so on.

Disappears represents where in the night sky the International Space Station will leave your field of view.

astro_horizon.jpg

---
International_Space_Station_after_undocking_of_STS-132.jpg

Do not forget that amateur radio operators with a Technician class license or greater can make contact on 2m with the crew of the ISS while it is overhead!
Uggh I gotta get that license. I can pass the Technician sample tests every time, and the General License test 70% of the time. The harder part I think is picking out a radio, since my scanner is broken I can't tell which freqs are active in my area/

Reactions: Hopeless and Debi
Uggh I gotta get that license. I can pass the Technician sample tests every time, and the General License test 70% of the time. The harder part I think is picking out a radio, since my scanner is broken I can't tell which freqs are active in my area/
I would recommend starting out with a Baofeng UV-3R or UV-5R; they are very inexpensive HTs which are capable of operating on both 2m and 440cm. I have one and much prefer it to my HTX-200 when in the field. If you purchase one, be sure to buy a programming cable for it and use Chirp to set it up. As for local frequencies, it should be fairly easy to search for local frequency and repeater lists; Chirp has interfaces to a few of them, so you would have to do a minimum of searching outside of the software's interface.

Reactions: Hopeless