How much...

75 Cents. Seriously. 75 cents an hour and I worked in a little clothing shop in town. I had another job before that but it only lasted 2 days. I made a lousy waitress! lol

That 75 cents was good pay for a teen back in that time....waaaay long ago! :p:eek:

Reactions: Paintman
7.50 7 years ago. minimum wage is 13.25 now.

$5 / hr. for lawn work in my neighborhood - in the time before MTV. :)
Grandpa had some acreage, and I was paid in .22 lr ammo and jelly rolls, and carry out fried chicken. Drove a big Green Acres tractor with a sickle bar mower. And burned brush ! :cool:

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
My very first job was R100 an hour (which back when I started was less than $7 an hour) in 2012. I was an entertainment facilitator so I facilitated carnival stalls and fun foods like popcorn, candy floss, soft serve and waffles on a stick. But most of the functions were on the other side of Johannesburg so a good chunk of my pay immediately went to fuel :seenoevil:.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
I forget. Not much. To put it in context I was in the VIth form at school. After being an A student pretty much all the way through school personal problems had screwed that up and I dropped back a year. That year also didn't go well and it was the summer holidays. My mum told me that the wine shop down the road was advertising and suggested I get a summer job, so I got into my 'smart' (haha) clothes and went up there. I landed a part time job on the counter (and everything else! I love small shops!) and.... found out that you had to wait two weeks to get paid. It seemed like forever although I was living at home and only needed spending money, but I kept my eye on the prize... and after two weeks that first pay slip came in.

I don't remember how much it was, but I do remember my reaction: "IS THIS IT???" After tax and national insurance it was pretty poor.

BUT. Two things happened. First, I realised that people actually liked me. I'd thought from school that I was an unlikable no-hoper but behind that counter I was suddenly Mister popular! When I was out on the town, people I'd served in the shop would recognise me and buy me drinks! And to the astonishment of my handful of friends a REAL GIRL walked up to me and kissed me and we went home together!!!

It was a hell of a first month. Money isn't everything. Even that was counteracted when we got a new government soon after and they did the unthinkable and introduced a minimum wage. (Did Americans know that the UK only got one in the 90s? We stayed like a Dickens novel for a long time.) Suddenly I had self respect and money!

I'm just writing this bit on the end because it said my spelling correction looked like spam!

Last edited:
My first job was fill in paperboy age 11 or 12, delivering newspapers for my brother. I didn't actually get paid in cash, but payback favors. My first paying job was odd jobs. A friend and I put an ad in the local newspaper. We we're 15 if memory serves. We painted, cut bushes, cleaned out garages, etc. Paid $5 per hour or by the job. My first salary job was for the BF Goodrich factory, age 17 and 18. I was paid $4.35 per hour as a handyman. This was big money at the time. I loved a steady income. I painted, cleaned, swept, was fill in factory worker, and any odd jobs. I did this for two summers while in school. All monies went to my college fund.

Oh, I received an allowance as a kid, 50 cents a week, if memory serves. It started at age six or seven. I received the money IF I kept my room clean and did the things I was asked to do around the house. I would save my money for something special.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Whatever a waitress got back in 1976, 2.65 and tips maybe. I can’t honestly remember. I hated that job and left as soon as I was 18. My first real job for the county corrections I made 4.07 in 78. That did turn into a carrier tho. Thank god with time and promotions the pay got better lol. That’s it, two jobs my whole life unless you count babysitting and giving riding lessons.

Reactions: Debi