How do you handle solicitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
It's probably happened to you a number of times. You're reading a book, watching a program on TV, finishing up some project... there's a knock at the door. Who can it be? You aren't expecting anyone. So now that you've been brought back to reality, you go see who it is. Mailman? Nope. UPS? Wrong again. It's some weird looking guy who wants to sell you something. Maybe a newspaper subscription, maybe some Omaha Steaks. How do you handle the situation?

This happened to me yesterday. I was in my office elbows deep in a computer, making some hardware upgrades for someone my wife works with. I was in my own little world when the knock came and the dogs went ballistic. I answered the door to find some guy who barely let me ask if I could help him before he began his pitch. He was selling discount coupon books. There was over $250 worth of discounts to be had for the low, low price of... and then I cut him off. I explained that I wasn't trying to be rude and realized that he was just trying to earn a buck, but I was very busy and didn't have time to be interrupted. Besides that, we don't really use a lot of coupons. He apologized for the inconvenience and went on his merry way.

Some people I know get angry with solicitors showing up at their house and are very rude to them. I try to send them packing without being rude because my oldest son worked on a sales route a few summers ago to help with tuition. He came home almost every day with a horror story of being all but chased from someone's property with a pitch fork!

Do you threaten them with a shotgun, or politely send them to your neighbor, who you happen to know is looking for exactly the product they're selling?

Oh this is a hot button for me! I have a clearly posted "No Soliciting" sign right by the doorbell. I STILL get numerous people ignoring the sign. Depending on the age, and the response, this dictates the level of their treatment. I try to let the kids slide by, but truly wish the parents would teach them to observe the signs. The ones that REALLY annoy me are the ones who say they're not selling anything, when you know perfectly darn well that at some point in the dealing that they are obviously selling something or they wouldn't be there. If they're old enough to know better, I usually just point to the sign until they get it. If they push it, I say do you see the sign? That's when I get the "I'm not selling anything", and I say yes you are. I usually give them one polite no. If they continue, they get a slightly stronger no, and if they are still pushing it, then all bets are off. I'm not violent or anything, but I convey my disapproval of their disregard for my request of no soliciting. I obviously don't try to get them too upset, as the cars are always an easy target for revenge. They usually just get a lecture on why I would not use their company anyway because they clearly don't care about my interests if they won't even respect my sign. They don't usually get it, and just go away, so problem solved. Roy likes his privacy, and if he needs the services of someone will use the internet or phone book.

Reactions: surge and Debi
Roy likes his privacy, and if he needs the services of someone will use the internet or phone book.
That's what my wife always does. "If I want ____ I know how to use Google!"

We've talked about a no solicitation sign, but haven't put one up yet. Maybe I will now though, because this was the third person in the last six months or so.

I don't usually get many out here in the middle of nowhere....luckily. The drive is posted with No Trespassing to begin with, and most people know if you approach someone out here, we're armed. The ones I do get are the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. That usually is pretty quick...in the past I've just announced "I'm a witch" and close the door. Pretty much sets feet fleeing for their bikes/cars/whatever.

Reactions: Seahunter and surge
I don't usually get many out here in the middle of nowhere....luckily. The drive is posted with No Trespassing to begin with, and most people know if you approach someone out here, we're armed. The ones I do get are the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. That usually is pretty quick...in the past I've just announced "I'm a witch" and close the door. Pretty much sets feet fleeing for their bikes/cars/whatever.
Yeah, I handle the Jehovah's Witness much differently. I'm salacious, lewd and crude when they come around. :D

Reactions: Seahunter
Yeah, I handle the Jehovah's Witness much differently. I'm salacious, lewd and crude when they come around. :D
I'm actually nicer to the Mormons....I worked with some of the boy's that were volunteers at the hospital. Studied the religion itself way back when. They're not pushy, just devoted. I NICELY explain to them that they are wasting their time. :D Then I close the door.

Reactions: surge
That's what my wife always does. "If I want ____ I know how to use Google!"

We've talked about a no solicitation sign, but haven't put one up yet. Maybe I will now though, because this was the third person in the last six months or so.
Well, now you'll see why I was a little tense there... I'm talking I have the stupid sign up and I STILL get two to three people A WEEK that ignore it and ring the doorbell anyway!! That's why I get so irritated, is it is a fairly common occurrence, even with the sign. It makes the dogs go nuts when the bell rings, and 99% of the time I'm clear upstairs and have to go clear downstairs just to get to the door. Sometimes just for fun I go ahead and give them a little "crazy person" look just for effect. LOL...

Well, now you'll see why I was a little tense there... I'm talking I have the stupid sign up and I STILL get two to three people A WEEK that ignore it and ring the doorbell anyway!! That's why I get so irritated, is it is a fairly common occurrence, even with the sign. It makes the dogs go nuts when the bell rings, and 99% of the time I'm clear upstairs and have to go clear downstairs just to get to the door. Sometimes just for fun I go ahead and give them a little "crazy person" look just for effect. LOL...
You need a better sign! One that says, "I won't buy it if you knock on my door. Go away." Or "I shoot solicitors!"

Reactions: surge and Seahunter
You need a better sign! One that says, "I won't buy it if you knock on my door. Go away." Or "I shoot solicitors!"
LOL. I had one for a while that explained what soliciting was, and listed all the types of people who were NOT to ring the doorbell - basically to be funny, but prove a point. It said at the end, basically if you DO NOT KNOW ME, you should not be ringing the doorbell. :D Maybe I need to put that one back up??

Status
Not open for further replies.