Hosted by Wells

This concept has always fascinated me. I know little of it, aside from the generalities, but it amazes me that the thought exists that man can control Nature.

Reactions: surge and t-dub
it amazes me that the thought exists that man can control Nature.
Yes, we humans are full of hubris. Its like the whole AGW (anthropogenic or man made global warming) thing. There is no way the flea on the elephants back can make it do anything. Anyone that understands thermodynamics can easily see that it is impossible because over 96% of the heat in the atmosphere is held here by water vapor. To say that 0.012% of the atmosphere can heat the rest of it, PLUS 350 million cubic miles of ocean at an average of 40*F, PLUS 258 billion cubic miles of Earth at an average of 2,000*F is fantasy. Carbon dioxide and water vapor both absorb and emit radiation the same way. When a photon comes in the atmosphere sometimes it is absorbed by these molecules. They then vibrate, releasing kinetic energy, then a lower energy photon is emitted. This has a cooling effect and water and C02 absorb and emit the same wavelengths. So for this whole heat thing that they describe to work, and none of their computer models do work they all run hot, when a cloud came between you and the sun you would have to feel hotter not cooler.

Anyways, I submit this scientific tidbit just as food for thought. Subjects like AGW are very emotional and on a forum you are never going to change anyones mind so I am not here to debate this as I do not wish to promote disharmony within this wonderful community.

Reactions: Indigo and surge