"Haint Blue" Explained

i think me and paintman discussed this a while back. yep a lot of blue porches in the south, (mine included), blue porches and bottle trees..... be a good name for a book about the south i think...hmmm

Well, it keeps out the really stupid ghosts anyway.
the south is full of superstition and beliefs from many different cultures. covering mirrors and stopping clocks when death comes, etc... it is actually quite interesting to learn the origins of some of these practices. i know ppl who still follow a lot of these ways.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
Well if you want to see Superstition in action, you should have seen some of our little league and Senior League teams. An ethnic melting pot in Gary Indiana. Moms and dads and grandpas and grandmas were all from the old country. As in Eastern Europe, South of the Border and the Caribbean, US deep South.
I mean baseball has its own superstitions - but we're talkin about the kid who's grandma sewed garlic into his jersey for protection. The Evil Eye was crowd participation.

• Love it
Reactions: Debi and Lynne
Well if you want to see Superstition in action, you should have seen some of our little league and Senior League teams. An ethnic melting pot in Gary Indiana. Moms and dads and grandpas and grandmas were all from the old country. As in Eastern Europe, South of the Border and the Caribbean, US deep South.
I mean baseball has its own superstitions - but we're talkin about the kid who's grandma sewed garlic into his jersey for protection. The Evil Eye was crowd participation.
I loved this post !

This was a fun read. I learned something today, this was news to me about the blue porches. What is a bottle tree?

Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
This was a fun read. I learned something today, this was news to me about the blue porches. What is a bottle tree?
you hang bottles in a tree, preferably a crepe myrtle due to its religious ties. and the bottles will rid your property of spirits before they enter the home. cobalt blue bottles were originally used but now they are of all colors, more of a decoration or throwback to the past. the blue has the same properties of the porch being blue. some say spirits cant cross water, the more common belief is that it represents the sky and causes the spirits to move upward instead of entering the home,......now you can buy "bottle trees" in the local deco stores....they look like bad christmas trees...lol

1626918221022.png

you hang bottles in a tree, preferably a crepe myrtle due to its religious ties. and the bottles will rid your property of spirits before they enter the home. cobalt blue bottles were originally used but now they are of all colors, more of a decoration or throwback to the past. the blue has the same properties of the porch being blue. some say spirits cant cross water, the more common belief is that it represents the sky and causes the spirits to move upward instead of entering the home,......now you can buy "bottle trees" in the local deco stores....they look like bad christmas trees...lol

View attachment 33737
Thank you. I seriously did not know about this. Very interesting.

Reactions: Paintman