News Ground Control to Major Tom!

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-33806298

An amateur radio enthusiast managed to get a quick chat with the International Space Station (ISS) after a month of trying to get through from his shed.

Adrian Lane, of Gloucestershire, sent out a call signal to the ISS and was "stunned" when he received a reply.

He said: "They came back to me and said, 'Receiving you - welcome aboard the International Space Station'."

Mr Lane, from Coleford, and a US astronaut chatted for about 45 seconds before the station went out of range.

He had been trying to "catch the ISS on a pass" when he finally got through at the end of a four-minute "contact window".

Pretty cool story, and a memory to last a lifetime!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-33806298

An amateur radio enthusiast managed to get a quick chat with the International Space Station (ISS) after a month of trying to get through from his shed.

Adrian Lane, of Gloucestershire, sent out a call signal to the ISS and was "stunned" when he received a reply.

He said: "They came back to me and said, 'Receiving you - welcome aboard the International Space Station'."

Mr Lane, from Coleford, and a US astronaut chatted for about 45 seconds before the station went out of range.

He had been trying to "catch the ISS on a pass" when he finally got through at the end of a four-minute "contact window".

Pretty cool story, and a memory to last a lifetime!
Someone posted the info about contacting them somewhere on here recently! That must be a "life" story that man will be talking about for years!! How cool!

Cant help wondering if this is the first time a guitar has been played in space.
Good question. I know a couple of astronauts back in the 60s took a harmonica and bell up with them and played Jingle Bells while in orbit, but this may well have been the first guitar played in space.