Ghost of Irving Thalberg!?!

DanDanSpookyMan

Reaction score
I am a prop maker that works on the Sony (formerly MGM) lot. With Covid and the recent writers strike the lot has been slow so I’ve been trashed with lot maintenance and preservation. In this I have now had the chance to access every building in the lot, for work of course not ghost hunting lol. As far as my knowledge goes I know the lot is old, Triangle Studios owned it before MGM took over sometime in the early 1920s, MGM sold to Sony in the late 1980s, and that’s really all there is to know on the age of the lot.
My experience happened very recently, about a week ago. A crew or workers have been tasked to work near an old building called the “Thalberg Bulding”, named after Irving Thalberg who was one of the 3 owners of the original MGM along. The bulding was named after him shortly after his death in 1936 and is decorated with lots of his awards and memorabilia. We are working outside giving us access to the basement. The basement is where all the activities happen. Many many many reliable sources starting telling other co works stories, from light turning on and off to cold chills and gusts of air. The one story, besides mine, that holds the most evidence was about 3 weeks ago. Sony had shut down power to the entire lot for normal maintenance. While the power was off a foreman and a worker (who had an experience) went down to the basement. Once down there they opened one of the 4 doors in there and behind them in the basement the light turns on and off fast. There was zero way for this to happen, absolutely zero way. We had confirmed again after with the electricians that power was off, it was..

So my story goes.. I went down last week with an SLS. Myself and a coworker who handed been, we ventured in to the basement. Right away the vibe was lame, light where on and someone had been down there to work. We decided to enter on of the rooms. Two rooms host old theaters, I can’t find the history on them, the third continues to a service hallway, and the fourth is an electrical and plumbing closet. We get into one of the movie theaters and within seconds a figure comes and sits in the front row, he looks as if he is crossing his legs and taking notes or having a smoke.. you tell me

iCloud Photos - Apple iCloud

Reactions: jellyforspongebob
I am a prop maker that works on the Sony (formerly MGM) lot. With Covid and the recent writers strike the lot has been slow so I’ve been trashed with lot maintenance and preservation. In this I have now had the chance to access every building in the lot, for work of course not ghost hunting lol. As far as my knowledge goes I know the lot is old, Triangle Studios owned it before MGM took over sometime in the early 1920s, MGM sold to Sony in the late 1980s, and that’s really all there is to know on the age of the lot.
My experience happened very recently, about a week ago. A crew or workers have been tasked to work near an old building called the “Thalberg Bulding”, named after Irving Thalberg who was one of the 3 owners of the original MGM along. The bulding was named after him shortly after his death in 1936 and is decorated with lots of his awards and memorabilia. We are working outside giving us access to the basement. The basement is where all the activities happen. Many many many reliable sources starting telling other co works stories, from light turning on and off to cold chills and gusts of air. The one story, besides mine, that holds the most evidence was about 3 weeks ago. Sony had shut down power to the entire lot for normal maintenance. While the power was off a foreman and a worker (who had an experience) went down to the basement. Once down there they opened one of the 4 doors in there and behind them in the basement the light turns on and off fast. There was zero way for this to happen, absolutely zero way. We had confirmed again after with the electricians that power was off, it was..

So my story goes.. I went down last week with an SLS. Myself and a coworker who handed been, we ventured in to the basement. Right away the vibe was lame, light where on and someone had been down there to work. We decided to enter on of the rooms. Two rooms host old theaters, I can’t find the history on them, the third continues to a service hallway, and the fourth is an electrical and plumbing closet. We get into one of the movie theaters and within seconds a figure comes and sits in the front row, he looks as if he is crossing his legs and taking notes or having a smoke.. you tell me

Hi Dan, and welcome. Interesting story, but it's not clear what you actually saw with your own eyes. Since you didn't describe actually seeing anything, are we to assume your only reason to believe there was a ghost in that old theater was the images seen through the SLS?

I'm not familiar with SLS, can you explain how it works? I'm also unsure exactly what we are looking at in your video. Was the video image we saw from the camera being fed on to a tablet/laptop or are we looking at a screen on the camera itsrlf? Was the camera stationary? If so, why was it aimed at that location we see in the video?

This reminds me of the false ghost images captured on Tesla dash screens as a result as of the car's camera/sensors misinterpreting common inert objects. Have you tried using the SLS to determine if the images shown in your video were false positives?

Reactions: garnetsilver
Sorry, yes so my co worker and I went into the theater. The theater is pitch black, no light.

As soon as we shut the door a figure shows up on the SLS cam sitting maybe 9ft away. The stick figure looks to be sitting in the theater chair crossed reaching its left arm to the table next to it.

Simply explanation
The SLS (Structured Light Sensor) projects a IR (inferred) grid. Think BattleShip the game standing up and projected out. When one of the lasers detects and change in distance and depth its traveling it begins to piece together an image. So if I were to stand in the frame it would show me with a stick figure that’s looks like my skeleton.

In the attached link in the first post you’ll see the video

Sorry, yes so my co worker and I went into the theater. The theater is pitch black, no light.

As soon as we shut the door a figure shows up on the SLS cam sitting maybe 9ft away. The stick figure looks to be sitting in the theater chair crossed reaching its left arm to the table next to it.

Simply explanation
The SLS (Structured Light Sensor) projects a IR (inferred) grid. Think BattleShip the game standing up and projected out. When one of the lasers detects and change in distance and depth its traveling it begins to piece together an image. So if I were to stand in the frame it would show me with a stick figure that’s looks like my skeleton.

In the attached link in the first post you’ll see the video
Yeah I saw the video. So did you actually see anything with your naked eye? What are we looking at on the video you posted, video images on a computer screen fed from the camera or a screen on the camera itself? Was the camera stationary, and if so why was it pointing at the chair where a ghost just happened to sit? Did you test the SLS in other locations to see if any ghosts appeared? Also, please explain the science behind ghosts appearing on SLS cameras?

No nothing with the naked eye. I had no other equipment at that moment. Before I began filming just off my iPhone, that stick figure crowled across a row over seats to the front row.

My coworker and I had been just scanning the room. I had a flashlight on and said out loud “going dark” and within seconds of going lights out we started catching this figure

What Is An SLS Camera​

Structured Light Sensor(SLS) cameras work by projecting invisible infrared laser grids over a wide field of view. The camera’s sensors calculate the distance between the infrared dots to build a 3 dimensional model of it’s visible field. These cameras are different from typical cameras in that light and color are none factors in what you will see displayed, changes in movement is what the SLS is made to track as this technology was made originally for the X-box Kinect. Movement in the camera’s visible field is recognized as breaks in the grid. Many SLS cameras are sold as a system which includes a Windows tablet, audio equipment, infrared recording and screen capture software, and a handheld or docking station for stability.

Credit to: www.sinistercoffeeandcreamery.com

Looks like you caught a ghost. I am assuming you went in there to investigate since you brought tech with you? No doubt places like old theaters have a few ghosts.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Welcome to the forum.

I have worked at all the major and many smaller studios around LA as both production crew and "Extra-Extraordinaire" and I do believe those places are very spooky indeed.

i would love to investigate theme parks and run down ones too. I live in Tampa so im near Orlando and same thing would love to check those out !