Genetic modified fish for sale

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Fake fish: First genetically engineered salmon sold in Canada - Strange Sounds

Fake fish: First genetically engineered salmon sold in Canada

Genetically engineered salmon has reached the dinner table.
AquaBounty Technologies, the company that developed the fish, has already sold 4.5 tonnes of its FAKE FISH in Canada.

upload_2017-8-10_13-14-37.jpeg

This is the first time that a genetically engineered animal has been sold for food on the open market. And proably not the last one!

The new variety of Atlantic salmon is engineered to grow faster than its non-genetically modified counterpart, reaching market size in roughly half the time — about 18 months.

The ish will be now raised on Canada’s Prince Edward Island, where local authorities gave the green light for construction in June and in Albany, Indiana, where they still need the green light from US regulators.

Unlike in Canada, the United States haven’t allowed the salmon’s entry into the marketplace. A good thing I would say! It’s a fake fish.

You guys ready for this? Would you buy and eat it?

It's not for me. I hope Indiana or the FDA or whoever votes no, as I would.

Reactions: Charleh
It's not for me. I hope Indiana or the FDA or whoever votes no, as I would.
I've read that Albany, IN, is not happy about this possibility. The place that wants to raise these is by the Mississinewa River and Reservoir, which is a huge fishing spot for many. The chance of cross contamination is huge.

Reactions: 7Critter
I've read that Albany, IN, is not happy about this possibility. The place that wants to raise these is by the Mississinewa River and Reservoir, which is a huge fishing spot for many. The chance of cross contamination is huge.
Fast growth tells me aggression which indeed may wipe out other fish species.

Reactions: Debi
We may need this modified fast growing fish since we can't eat fish from the Pacific. I'm not a fan of genetically altered food but it beats starving. A huge part of the world lives on fish.

We may need this modified fast growing fish since we can't eat fish from the Pacific. I'm not a fan of genetically altered food but it beats starving. A huge part of the world lives on fish.
You had to go and find a good reason for it...;)

Reactions: Lynne