Five Straight Holidays

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
In about two weeks, we will begin a series of five holidays (Halloween, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) in a span of just 60 days.

Of those five holidays, which is the one you now enjoy the most? Is there a traditional way you or your family celebrate that holiday? Which evokes the most memories for you from your childhood?

Reactions: Donna K.
Christmas held the happiest memories for me. I remember how my parents who usually fought all the time seemed to be touched by the holiday spirit and would work together to convince us kids that there was a Santa. I remember the magical Christmas tree and the glittering presents underneath.

Halloween is my next favorite but the only good memories is what I came to believe was the best way to celebrate; by honoring family who have crossed over.

Looking back, I think my fondest memories as a youngster were from Thanksgiving. Some of our Christmases were very meager, especially in the mid 60s, but my Mom must have scrimped and saved the whole year to make sure we had a bountiful Thanksgiving. And we did give thanks.

For years Halloween was my favorite holiday, a Halloween street party downtown was full of booze and debauchery. The trick was to one-up yourself from the previous year's costume. Strange times.

I try to attend a Veteran's Day service every year. For several years I attended a large ceremony where my good friend, a Baptist minister, gave the invocation.

Now my favorite of the five is Christmas as it allows to see the joy and splendor of the holiday again through the eyes of a child, my granddaughter.

I enjoy most holidays differently obviously now i am getting older. I see the 'big ones' as family events and i always loved Halloween. It falls in my favorite month to begin with :) I never served in the military, but my grandfather, father and brother (and i'm sure others in family) did, but i do take time to remember.