First time...

Discussion in 'Owl's Nest' started by Debi, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Mystic Owl
    Staff

LOL Sometimes I wake up in the morning and read a thread that makes me laugh. You, PaintmanPaintman, BenwayBenway, CharlehCharleh caused a coffee screen spit this morning. :p

Lynne, Benway, Paintman and 1 other person like this.
  2. Armand

Armand
    Expand Collapse
    Dilectis Dei
    Tier-1 Mod

I was on a private plane my first time (that I remember) I was when I was a baby but that doesn't come to mind. anyway. My brother in law had two planes I just got out the hospital my brother in law let me take the controls when we were in the air it was fun I noticed the lower you fly the bumpier it is.

Lynne, Paintman and Debi like this.
  3. Seahunter

Seahunter
    Expand Collapse
    AKA "Roy"
    Staff

Wow, thanks for the great reply, WandS! I definitely can see where it could be both. I'm glad you had the drive to keep it positive and hang around the "right" people.

Lynne, Paintman and WitchAndShaman like this.
  4. jadamz

jadamz
    Expand Collapse
    The Countess
    Tier-2 Mod

10 yrs old. San Francisco to Saipan,Mariana Islands. Dad worked there as electrical engineer for the Trust Territory (back then, now they have sovereignty)

WitchAndShaman likes this.
  5. Benway

Benway
    Expand Collapse

I was nine. Family holiday and a flight from London to Crete. Exciting stuff! I did have bad ear popping problems though. There was a great lady who gave me boiled sweets to suck and plastic cups to put over my ears. All carried out by me like the coolest science thing ever. But, ouch!

The return trip was more fun. There'd been a storm gathering around the peak of the island all week (I think it was called Mt. Spiros. Most of the people there were also called Spiro from memory) It broke the night we flew out and many flights were cancelled but we were told that our pilot had decided that he was going to do it. Cool! I was baffled by the anxiety from the adults around. Truth be told, as much fun as the flight in had been it was lacking something compared to TV or movie flights and as we took off, lurching around with massive thunder and flashes of lightning, the plane tilting about like Han Solo was flying it I thought (cups on ears and sweet in mouth) that "This is real flying!"

6. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse

Boiled sweets sound like...plain old yuck. Unless it’s like a donut which is essentially dough boiled in oil.

Your description of the Falcon flight home is hysterical. I can imagine an overly hairy person sitting next to you letting out the occasional Wookie yawl :). Somewhere in the background R2 is chirping and squeaking as he roll back and forth through the isle.

Benway likes this.
  7. Benway

Benway
    Expand Collapse

Boiled sweets are just hard sweets in a variety of colours! A web search throws up the name "hard candy" so they are that. Too hard to chew so you have to suck them which supposedly helps with ear popping problems. It was a great flight at the time, but I think I may react differently now!

WitchAndShaman and Debi like this.
  8. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse

I know the hard candy term; thanks for the translation. For awhile I was envisioning some kind of Medieval, British youth-targeting torture scheme.

You know, “Burn the witch. No, drown the witch. No better yet, ‘boiled sweets’ the witch!”

Lynne likes this.
  9. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    midnight rider

ROLF! You guys are too funny.

10. Benway

Benway
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. I suppose if you are unfamiliar with the name, "she gave me boiled sweets" does sound quite alarming! :D My eyes are watering thinking about it!

Lynne, Debi and WitchAndShaman like this.