Dream vacation or simply a nightmare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
I have always had a love for the water. I SCUBA dive (but it's been a while due to a back injury), and have been fortunate enough to have been on two submarine excursions, one to 981 feet in Grand Cayman, the other to about 100 feet in Oahu. I mention this, because this can be a bad time to find out that you're claustrophobic :eek:, and fortunately this was not an issue. So after that, it got me to searching for other ways to enjoy the water and I came across some underwater hotels. So today's question is, would you want to stay underwater in a hotel, or does the idea of being "trapped" underwater scare the pants off you? :eek: I think it would be an incredible experience, and it is rather high up on the bucket list - which keeps growing! :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/15/underwater-hotels_n_3435979.html

o-UNDERWATER-HOTELS-570.jpg

It would depend on how deep that hotel is! Is it shallow enough I could hold my breath and get to the surface??? Or, as in the case of the one in Dubai, will the whole thing float to the surface in case of emergency?

I'd be OK with it as I love the ocean and would like to play Nimo for a bit as long as I felt the above questions were answered to my satisfaction. We used to have a giant salt water fish tank and I could spend hours just watching it like a TV. This would be a reverse fish tank! It would be especially good if it was located by a reef like the room above seems to be. All I would need is some soft music and room service and I could stay and watch the "show" for a few days without ever leaving the room. :)

Reactions: Seahunter
I didn't know about the one down in Key West, but you have to dive to get to it. Never learned SCUBA, so I wonder if they train you or something to get down there?

Reactions: Seahunter
I didn't know about the one down in Key West, but you have to dive to get to it. Never learned SCUBA, so I wonder if they train you or something to get down there?
Yeah, that's actually the first one I heard about. They do have a "resort course" or "discover course" type class where they can teach you enough to get down to the rooms. It's just like the basics of diving, and I think that one is only like 30' below the surface if I remember correctly, so a pretty easy, quick dive.

Reactions: Debi
I could do the whole underwater thing for three days tops. anything after that and I may start going stir crazy!

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/us/hawaii-shark-attack/index.html

I would like to request armed guards for the dive to the room! Thank you! :eek:
Great reporting: "shark chomps on snorkeler". It was a person, not a piece of steak for crying out loud!

Not to worry Ma. I've dived with sharks before, they're just as afraid of you as you are of them... Oh wait, that's some other creature. :p:eek:

But seriously, yeah the Tiger Shark is one of the more aggressive sharks, but still a long shot on getting attacked. Besides, it would only take you a few minutes to drop down to the hotel and get in. Just don't watch Jaws 3D before you go. Besides being one of the worst movies ever made, the whole plot is an underwater sea-life park that of course, involves sharks and you guessed it, trouble with the underwater aquarium. :rolleyes: Truly the lowest point of their careers for Louis Gossett Jr. and Dennis Quaid - well, and everyone else in it! :D

Sign me up! I think it would be an awesome way to spend a few days, and a unique opportunity to see sea life in it's native habitat.

Reactions: Naked Apple
Status
Not open for further replies.